This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Coming to Drexel as a freshman, I was transitioning from a house on a dirt road to a seventeen story building in the middle of Philadelphia. As a born and raised Vermonter, moving to the city was a huge change –to put it lightly. As I got to explore more and talked to peers who were more familiar with urban areas, I was able to venture out on my own and fall in love with the city I now know as my second home.

Here are a few tips I learned along the way that I keep in mind when considering my safety going about Philly. There are a lot of resources with more tips and insights to staying safe on campus and all of the links to these I will have below!

Be alert and attentive

As you get more comfortable in the city, it is easy to pull out your phone or pop in your headphones on your way home. As much as you’d like to tune out, it is imperative to be aware of your surroundings when walking around the city. This wasn’t a problem for me when first coming to the city as I was hyper-aware of everything that moved as a nervous country girl. Alertness is not just important for your sake of scanning the area, but being distracted makes you an easy target.

Avoid deserted areas

This wasn’t intuitive to me when I first came to the city, but I quickly discovered that crowds are my best friend. The more people there are around, the more accountable eyes of bystanders there are that are keeping away strange activity.

Public safety is there for you

Public safety is all over campus and it gives me a sense of security when walking around Drexel. They also offer services such as walking escorts in certain parameters of campus. This is a great resource when walking home late at night. Don’t be shy to call public safety, they are paid to make sure YOU are safe on campus. They would rather prevent something from happening than having a report. You can find Drexel’s number for public safety and other safety resources here.

Always have your phone charged

My phone is my lifeline when walking around the city, especially when starting out. Google Maps is the primary way I navigate through Philly, but it can drain my phone’s battery fairly quickly. Always make sure to leave your house with a fully charged phone, or better yet, bring a battery bank with you (but don’t forget to charge that too!)

Talk to people who know the city

You will find out quickly which areas are safer than others. In Philadelphia, there are definitely some unsavory areas that I should not be in, but much of the city is amazing with so much to offer.

Be conscious of Uber safety

Uber is an awesome feature in the city that has come in handy many times when I’m with friends or by myself. As great as Uber (or similar businesses) are, there are steps that should be taken to ensure you ride safely! A few include checking the license plate of the car, asking the driver to tell you your name, riding with others and checking your location on the app throughout the ride. More tips from Uber can be found here.

Explore places with friends

Going to new places with friends is a great way to see new parts of the city, and there are often free events for college students run by Campus Philly. If you are unfamiliar with an area or if it’s getting darker out, it helps to have a few friends that are staying with you until you get home. 

Join a self defense class!

Lastly, one fun tip would be to join a self-defense class! These are so fun to grab a few of your gal-pals and punch and kick for a few hours, and it is very good instruction to have. If you are at Drexel here are a few places you can do it, like Drexel’s RAD Self-Defense Course!

I hope these tips are helpful for anyone new to urban living. Drexel offered the city environment that I hoped for in a college and I don’t regret my decision, despite the huge shift in surroundings. It’s very rare that I feel uncomfortable in the city, especially on Drexel’s campus. College in the city can offer you so many places to go, events to attend, and sites to see. Once you get your bearings of the area, you’ll feel much more free and at home in your new home.

Abbey Keller

Drexel '22

I am a sophomore at Drexel University majoring in Health Science and Minoring in Nutrition. I love cooking, playing squash and a good church service!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.