7 Best Female Empowerment Movies and Shows on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s no secret that we all have binge watched our favorite movies and shows on Netflix, sometimes even more than once. Check out these entertaining, yet value-filled movies and shows to empower yourself and get motivated to be the best you that you can be!

1. Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde 2

It might sound cliché, but Elle Woods is ultimate #goals. She may have went to Harvard to follow a boy, but she transformed into an ambitious, independent (even if she did end up with Emmett) and smart woman who proves that we can achieve anything we set our minds to.

2. Gilmore Girls

Lorelai Gilmore is a great example of how hard work pays off. Leaving her house when she was 17 years old and moving to a small town to raise her daughter by herself was one of the hardest things she had to do, but as the years went by, she became a stronger, fiercer woman who even displays business smarts through the inn that she runs.

3. Clueless

Cher and Dionne have an amazing friendship, and that tight bond is just one of the great parts of girl power. But, this movie is also empowering because it shows the journey of a spoiled teenage girl turning into a mature young woman. Plus, the outfits Cher wore were amazing. Can you wait to re-watch this classic? As if!

4. Orange is the New Black

OINTB touches on a lot of topics including racism, discrimination, sexism and much more. This popular Netflix original series rose to the top and also serves as a critique to society, especially in Season 4, which came out at the beginning of this summer. Many of the show’s actresses are using their platforms for good and are considered role models and advocates in Hollywood. Just look at Laverne Cox, who rallies for transgender rights, and Diane Guerrero, who has brought attention to the negative effects of splitting up illegal immigrant families.

5. Charlie’s Angels

What is more powerful than seeing three beautiful women kicking a** and saving the world? This movie shows that girls can do anything, not just “girly” activities. Women can be physically, mentally and emotionally strong all at once!

6. Reign

This series is seriously addicting. It follows the story of Mary, Queen of Scotland and her four ladies-in-waiting. Mary faces war, love, a prophecy and ruling a country, and despite the chaos in her life, she handles her struggles well and holds her head high.

7. Scandal

Many women look to Olivia Pope for some inspiration on how to be a determined, intelligent and beautiful lady. She is seen as a leader for those on-screen and off-screen as well.

Next time you are craving a Netflix binge session, don’t forget to (re)watch these shows and movies. Since they are empowering, you are technically learning and educating yourself, so your binge-watching is totally worth it!

Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.