6 Ways to Write at Drexel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

One skill that has become indispensable in the job market is writing. Every collegiette should be cognizant of this, and Drexel has provided many resources for any student who wishes to be a writer, or wants to develop this skill. Her Campus Drexel has compiled a list of all the places where you can hone and develop your writing skills, and we encourage you to participate in one or more of them!

Freshman writing program: Drexel realizes the importance of writing skills and has taken steps to ensure it’s students possess this crucial skill. Peer writing and reading are important aspects of the FWP, giving students the chance to edit each other’s pieces. So no matter what your major is, Drexel makes sure you graduate with this skill firmly set in your back pocket.

Maya:    Maya is the completely undergraduate student-run and operated literary magazine at Drexel University. It’s yearly magazine publishes poetry, prose, short fiction and nonfiction pieces by students. You can submit pieces for the magazine or even better, join the team to weigh in on creating the content, or work on other necessary aspects of the magazine.

Drexel Writing Center: Peer readers at the DWC are around to provide you with help on any writing assignment —anything from an essay to a lab report, or even just a blog post. You can also take WRIT 210 and become a peer reader yourself! Becoming a peer reader can improve your writing skills, by allowing you to help others and constantly discuss writing throughout the disciplines.

The Triangle: The Triangle is Drexel’s independent student-run newspaper. Published every Friday, the newspaper is always willing to add more people to it’s team. Depending on the skill you want to develop, or your passion — copy editing, writing, photography — there is always a spot on the team for you.

Personal blog: Writing at Drexel does not have to be just a school related program. You can start a blog on your own, and write on whatever topic catches your fancy. It could be fashion, entrepreneurship or just pieces of your own prose, poetry, fiction or nonfiction. It’s your blog to do as you wish. Blogs are also a great way to show off your writing skills to potential employers.

Her Campus Drexel: Then of course, there’s us! As a team, we aim to provide collegiettes with the knowledge needed to have a successful college experience. We’re here to share our passion for writing. Also, you can make new friends along the way, while providing help to other collegiettes like yourself! If writing isn’t your strongest point, we also have options to be involved in marketing, event planning, and social media.

Writing is an important life skill whether you’re an English major, a future journalist, or even a business major. That’s right, business isn’t just about economics and accounting. As with any field of study, there are going to be situations where you have to know how to write. From conjuring up business proposals to writing work emails, the ability to write is a necessity. The point is, no matter what your major, Drexel has a variety of ways to help you write like a professional for any career.

Naa Dedei is a Psychology major with minors in Communication and Writing at Drexel University. Two things she is extremely passionate about are writing and her country, Ghana. Her goal is to study International law and work with the UN or start her own nonprofit to deal with Human Rights issues. Other than posting on her blog, she can be found whipping up a meal in her kitchen or lounging in her couch, either glued to a book, or binge-watching a show on Netflix.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.