6 Ways to Prepare Your Dorm for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

As Drexel students, we may not have the beautiful and spacious dorm rooms that they feature on PBTeen or the budget of Extreme Makeover: Dorm Edition (not a real thing, sadly), but that doesn’t mean we can’t go all out decorating our dorms for the holidays! It may seem strange to put up decorations this year since most of us get to go home on December 10th but when you start feeling the stress and impending doom of finals week, you’ll be glad to have a bit of holiday cheer welcoming you back home.

1. Remember that it’s all about setting the mood

Thanks to Daylight Savings, it’s dark as soon as you get out of your 4 p.m. class. While I’m not suggesting you leave your room in pitch black darkness, use soft lighting to create a cozy atmosphere in your home. Either use the lowest setting on your floor lamp or hang string lights around your walls. The main idea is to recreate the warm glow one would witness if they had lit a fire in the fireplace. Since I doubt many of us have this option, low lighting provides a safe and cheap alternative.

2. Bring the winter wonderland indoors

You know all of that printer paper you bought freshman year? You can finally put it to use. One of the easiest and equally mesmerizing DIYs is dangling paper snowflakes from your ceiling. We all learned how to do this in elementary school and it can easily be accomplished while binge-watching Freeform’s “25 Days of Christmas” movie marathon.

Need a refresher? Follow our step-by-step guide below:

1. Fold the paper in half, and then in half again, making sure to remember which corner is holding your paper together (the crucial corner).

2. Once the paper has been folded in half twice, fold the two sides that are connected to the crucial corner together so you’ve formed a triangle.

3. Cut off excess edges so every fold is the same size. You can either cut everything off in a curve or follow the lines of the shortest pieces left, this is completely up to you.

4. After you’ve created your base, cut out whatever shapes and designs you want to add. Just be sure to cut through every fold of the paper to ensure a symmetrical snowflake!

Continue doing this about 10-20 more times (depending on hand strength and quantity of homework) to create a nice variety of snowflakes. Then, tie any type of string or yarn you may have lying around through one of the holes in your unfolded snowflake and tape it to your ceiling using a non-permanent, paint-friendly adhesive, like masking tape. If everything works out, your room should end up looking like Elsa just visited but without the drop in temperatures.

3. Pick a focal point and go all-out

If you’re more focused on putting together a classy decor for your room, decorate sparingly using the main color palette of your other decorations and then use one empty corner to (tastefully) place everything else. This allows the majority of your apartment to retain its original character while transitioning into the season. If you want to put up a Chanukiah or Christmas tree, this is a great place for it. If you live in a dorm, go for an electric Menorah so you don’t get in trouble for lighting a candle. Utilize your excess decorations to frame this area and give it structure. Otherwise, your main decoration (Chanukiah, tree or another traditional holiday item) may look a little abandoned.

4. Make a snow(wo)man

This requires any paint you may have lying around your dorm and some brown paper bags. I used the ones that came with my wine bottles, but Trader Joe’s bags will work too – they just might require more paint to cover up the designs. You’ll need to have a significant amount of white paint, but the other colors are completely up to you. The first step is to lightly sketch out the shape of your snowman. This will all be covered in paint so don’t worry about messing up! Then, stuff newspaper or a plastic bag inside the bag so the paint doesn’t bleed through. It may need several coats of paint to create a smooth, white surface but remember that less is more. Let it dry for about 15 minutes then start decorating or “dressing up” your snow person. Once the eyes, mouth and accessories have been added, feel free to add a background (especially if you used a TJ’s bag). Let them dry overnight and in the morning, set them up around your room and add stuffing if they can’t stay up on their own.

5. Deck the halls (literally!)

This one may depend on the layout of your dorm/apartment but if you have any type of hallway, hang some tinsel strands and deck those halls! If you live in a traditional dorm, try asking your RA if you’re allowed to decorate the hallway with some cheap garlands from Five Below. Blue and silver are nice winter color combinations that bring the theme of snow indoors without leaving a mess in the hallway. Whether this is done in your entry way or in front of the bathroom door, it’s sure to carry the spirit of the holidays throughout your home.

6. Modernize your favorite childhood memories

Was your family a fan of Elf on the Shelf? Did you hide a green pickle in your tree? Maybe you and your cousins gathered in a circle and spun the dreidel until dinner was ready. Whatever tradition you may have participated in as a child, you should try and incorporate them into your new life on campus! It’s a great way to bond with your roommates and learn about different cultures while reminiscing on a simpler, exam-free time in your life. If you’re 21 or older, feel free to corrupt those memories as well by (responsibly) incorporating some alcoholic beverages.

With the stress of the holidays sneaking up on us, it’s good to remember to take time to relax. Use these DIY decorating ideas as a way to keep your mind active, but not stressed out. Happy holidays, Dragons!

If interested in joining Her Campus at Drexel, please reach out to drexel@hercampus.com!

Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.