6 Tips to Help Manage School and Part-Time Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Working part-time while attending school full-time is not an easy task. There is no set of rules you can follow to find the perfect balance. Speaking from my own experience, I worked two part-time jobs while taking five to six classes for 11 months straight. Each month became progressively worse than the previous month and my stress level was at an all-time high. These six tips allowed me to hang on for as long as I did, but not without a ton of trial and error.

1. Purchase a planner

If you don’t already have one, get a planner! Write EVERYTHING down! In addition to a planner, a dry erase calendar can also be very helpful. Writing everything down will help you remember due dates and times for tasks and meetings. You will find yourself scheduling everything, even naps! Each day, cross them out in your planner and erase them from your calendar. This helped me focus on what was currently happening, what I could expect in the next couple of days, and helped remove some of the clutter.

2. Make a mock schedule of your week

Create a schedule of your week, making sure to include your class schedule, work schedule, etc. If it looks like it’s too much to handle, it is. Move things around or remove them completely from your week to see what works best for you. Always manage your work schedule around your class schedule. Remember that your education is the first priority and that a part-time job is just an extracurricular.

3. Limit the amount of hours you work

Regardless of how much you need the money, school is still your main priority. If you put most of your time and effort into work, your GPA and your social life will begin to suffer. More time at work means less time studying and less time to hang out with your friends. This also makes it difficult to be a part of clubs or groups. Ultimately, if you choose to work 20 hours a week, you will be forced to make sacrifices.

4. Take advantage of your free time

When you’re all done with classes for the day and you don’t have to work, this is considered your free time. Always choose the best way to utilize the hours that you have. Completing any school assignments should be your go-to. Of course, when you’re done with homework, a nap is always an option. However, taking naps can be very risky. We’ve all had those unfortunate moments where a power nap turns into a very deep sleep. Just remember to set an alarm.

5. Find a release

Whenever you get stressed, find a way to release it as soon as possible. Go for a walk, run to the gym, or call a friend to ease all your frustrations. Allowing everything to build up only makes your situation worse. Always remember that your sanity is a vital factor in managing your time. Your release can be a weekly occurrence. Having something to look forward to will help you get through the week.

6. Schedule time for friends and family

This may be the hardest part of working part-time while in school. On the list of important things, friends and family unfortunately get bumped down to the bottom. Since I’ve started the new term in September, I’ve only visited home three times. This is ridiculous, considering that I only live half an hour away from campus! It may be a bit difficult to factor in the time, but you need your family and friends to keep you sane. They are the only people you have in your corner, so make sure you acknowledge that as much as possible

These tips may seem like common knowledge, but it is easier said than done. If you are having a hard time finding balance, the only thing you can do is continue adjusting. If you’re still struggling, then it is time to make changes. When you’re making decisions and sacrifices, always keep in mind that you’re a student first and an employee second.

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.