6 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Adopting a Pet in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Recently, you’ve started considering the possibility of adopting your first pet while in college. You crave the affection, entertainment, love, and cuteness that a pet provides, but you’re not sure if you’re ready. Try asking yourself the following six questions to get a better gauge on whether or not now is the right time to adopt a pet!

Image courtesy of Pixabay

1. Do I know how to take care of this pet?

If you’re interested in adopting an animal that you’ve never owned before, do research before you adopt! Make sure you understand all that goes into caring for that pet before you get it, so that you can be prepared, but also so that you don’t end up making a mistake.

2. Can I make the time commitment?

Some pets are more work than others, but even a goldfish needs to be fed. Before getting a pet, make sure that you have the time to properly care for it. Take into consideration every aspect of taking care of the pet – such as, if you get a puppy, do you have the time to properly train it? If you get a cat, do you have the time to clean the litter box every day? If you get a hamster, do you have the time to clean out the cage every week? Do you have the time to clean up after the animal around the house? Animals need to be fed, cared for, and socialize. Make sure you have the time to do all of your responsibilities before you commit!

Image courtesy of Pixabay

3. Does the pet align with my future game plan?

College can be a transitional time for a lot of us. Once we earn our degree, we’re free to do anything we want, and a lot of the time, it might mean that we’re not staying put where we are. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling, attaining a job with demanding hours, or moving somewhere where it might be hard to find a living situation that allows for your pet, then now might not be the best time to adopt.

4. Can I afford it?

Although animals might not seem that expensive on the day-to-day, their costs can come out of nowhere and add up quickly. As long as you’re renting somewhere to live, you’ll probably be subject to pet deposits or other fees, as well as paying for any damages that your animal might cause. Pets require yearly check-ups along with vaccinations every few years. Some pets may develop medical conditions that require medications or prescription foods. And along with all of that you have the basics: food, collar, leash, litter, cage, toys, water bowls, bedding, flea and tick preventative, cat carrier, treats, brush, and more, depending on the species.

Emergencies are another thing that you want to factor in before adopting a pet. Although we don’t like to think that anything will happen to our fur babies, emergencies happen, even to young pets. And emergency vet visits are expensive. Take it from me – both of my cats, who are still under two years old, have had to go to the emergency vet, one for an injury and one for a life-threatening medical condition. I never expected them to need the emergency vet this early in their life, and I definitely never expected how much the costs could be.

Emergencies can’t always be prevented, so you need to have a plan in place – savings, pet insurance, or somebody that’s willing to help you out. Although I think that everybody should have the right to be able to experience the love of their own pet no matter what their financial situation is, you still need to be prepared to deal with the situation if it happens.

5. Am I prepared to deal with behavioral issues?

Image courtesy of Pixabay

Only the really lucky get pets that have absolutely no behavioral issues at all. Most behavioral issues are mild – your pet waking you up in the middle of the night, scratching the couch, or nipping. But, some issues can be more serious, such as aggression towards other animals or people, or complete destruction of your belongings. Hopefully you don’t have to deal with any of those issues, but if you commit to a pet, you should also commit to taking the time to try and correct behavioral issues before you give up on them!

6. Am I committed to this for the rest of the pet’s life?

Pets are a commitment, and you shouldn’t get one unless you’re sure that you’re going to care for it for the rest of its life! Shelters are already over-crowded as it is, so the last thing you want is to adopt a pet only to have to return it.  

Having a pet is the most rewarding experience, but make sure that you’re ready for the responsibility before you get one!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.