This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

From the iconic spots to the hidden gems, Philadelphia is chock-full of fantastic restaurants. Whether I’m grabbing a schnitzel at a German beer garden or a giant cheesesteak from a roadside stand, my favorite restaurants are scattered all throughout the city. Here are my favorite Philadelphia restaurants:

White Dog Cafe – University City

This dog-themed farm-to-table restaurant far surpasses its “cafe” name. With fresh, seasonal ingredients and an ever-changing menu, White Dog is sure to pleasantly surprise you every time you drop in for a bite. My favorite item on the menu: the truffle fries! These fries are what dreams are made of.

Loco Pez – Graduate Hospital

If you’ve never had a fish taco, now is your chance. Loco Pez is famous for their fish, or pez, tacos. What’s even sweeter than a pez taco? Dollar tacos! Every week, Loco Pez hosts a Dollar Taco night, however, be sure to get there quickly because the seats fill up fast. Loco Pez has locations in Fishtown, University City, and Graduate Hospital. My favorite item on the menu: the carnitas bowl! From the red onions to the fresh carnitas, you’ll be stuffed by the end.

Victoria Freehouse – Old City

Imagine the best fish and chips you’ve ever had. Not a fan? What about chicken and mushroom pie? Now, imagine something even greater. That’s right, Victoria Freehouse has the best British food I have ever had. Even their chicken tikka masala is fantastic! With dozens of British beers on tap and English football always on, Victoria Freehouse makes for a great hang. My favorite item on the menu: the fish and chips! The dish comes in small and large sizes, so you can share this with a friend.

Brauhaus Schmitz – South Street

Where do you go for good times, good beer, and good food? Brauhaus Schmitz, of course. In the heart of the craziness of South Street, this German beer hall is well known for their large schnitzels and the even larger draft list, chock-full of imported German beer. The restaurant is reminiscent of a European bar and is always a blast to visit. If you’re lucky enough in the summer, you can snag a rooftop reservation for stellar views of Center City. My favorite item on the menu: the schnitzel! The breaded pork cutlet is bursting with flavor and will leave you feeling stuffed.

Pho 75 – Little Saigon

If you have yet to explore the Little Saigon area, you are seriously missing out! Nestled in the Wing Phat Plaza, Pho 75 is the best pho I have ever had. I’ve had pho in San Diego, Las Vegas, New York, even Paris, and nothing touches Pho 75. The menu is simple and the service is lightning quick. I highly recommend ordering the black drip-pot coffee with ice and condensed milk. All in all, this cash-only restaurant is a South Philly staple. My favorite item on the menu: a small number fifteen (slices of eye-round steak)! The rich broth and the plenteous amount of steak always hit the spot.

Nom Wah – Chinatown

You haven’t had dim sum until you’ve had Nom Wah. Originally a New York City staple, Nom Wah opened this hip location in Chinatown to serve those who prefer cooked-to-order over carted dim sum. From spring rolls to a wide variety of dumplings, everything you love about Dim Sum can be found here. Nom Wah is an intimate space, so be sure you call ahead, and cash is preferred. My favorite item on the menu: the house special roast pork bun! Served hot, the roast pork bun is my absolute favorite because of its gooey center.

Whether you’re feeling Vietnamese or German food, there are a plethora of options throughout the city. These are just a few of my favorites, but feel free to get out there and explore!

Emmy is a senior at Drexel University where she studies English and communication. She's previously written for FreshU, CollegeXpress, and Spoon University. You can find her exploring this great big world of ours, from California to Paris.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.