5 Ways to Celebrate the Holidays with your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Winter break means one thing: the holidays are coming! While you can’t wait to get home to your family, you’re probably not looking forward to leaving your lovely roommates (or gal pals) for three weeks! Celebrate the season with your girls one more time before you leave to go home for the winter. Even if you all don’t celebrate the same holidays, you can still be festive and do fun things together!

1. Secret Santa
Secret Santa is always fun! If someone in your crew doesn’t celebrate Christmas, drop the title and just organize a generic gift exchange. The gifts can be randomly chosen, or each girl can write a short list of three items they would like. An alternative to buying gifts would, of course, be to make them. It’s never about the money spent; it’s the thought that counts and your girls will appreciate your time and effort!

2. Decorate Mason Jars

Cheesy decorated mugs may be outdated, but who doesn’t love a good mason jar? Mason jars can be used as a mug for your smoothies, a makeup brush holder, a candleholder, a vase, and so much more! For the cold seasons, they can be used as a home for your tea bags or hot chocolate mixes. However you choose to use them, mason jars are practical, adorable, and a lot easier to decorate than ceramic mugs.

3. Outdoor Ice Skating

Ice-skating is always a fun time during the holiday season. Take advantage of living in the city and go to the outdoor ice rink at Dilworth Park. An added bonus is that from November 21 until December 27, the park will be hosting the Made in Philadelphia Holiday Market for the first time this year. You can purchase holiday foods, gifts, and more! This is also a great way to support local artists!

4. Holiday cards

Holiday cards make awesome keepsakes. Choose a theme and start posing! You can go for an all out glamour look or even a winter wonderland. The traditional route is to recreate a typical family holiday card fully equipped with ugly sweaters, a makeshift fireplace, and a ton of candles. Just have fun! When the photo-shoot’s over, you can upload the pictures to a free photo-editing site (like BeFunky.com or PicMonkey.com) and embellish away!

5. Visit Christmas Village
Christmas Village is a great way to get in the holiday spirit. Christmas Village in Love Park opens on Thanksgiving and runs until the last Sunday in December. The event features an outdoor market with over 60 traditional European vendors who are ready to sell food, drinks, and sweet treats. You can also expect to find an assortment of ornaments and trinkets here.

The holidays are a time to be with your loved ones, so you shouldn’t leave your girls out. Regardless of how you celebrate, being together you’ll create many new memories. It may even be the start of some annual traditions!

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.