nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways To Brighten Up A Gloomy Day in Philadelphia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

As we enter the colder months and say goodbye to the warm summer sun, we are faced with an everlasting dark and gray gloom. While some of us wait in exasperated anticipation all year for this weather, others don’t seem to understand the hype. That’s why here are 5 ways to make a gloomy day in Philadelphia more enjoyable, maybe even enough to make you love it.

1. Coffee, Coffee, Coffee 

Photo courtesy of Visit Philly 

There is no better time for a nice warm drink, whether that be coffee or a good old hot chocolate than a nice rainy day. Head over to Joe’s Coffee right on Drexel’s campus or make a small trip down to Fishtown to La Colombe’s beautiful location. Sit down with your favorite book, drink, and enjoy! 

Joe’s Coffee: 3200 Chestnut

La Colombe: 1335 Frankford Ave 

2. Museums  

Photo courtesy of I Septa Philly 

No matter what image the world may portray for museums, they can be a fun way to spend a gloomy day. Whether it is to see the Giant Heart exhibit at the Franklin Institute, the Dinosaur Hall at the Academy of Natural Sciences or all of the beautiful art in the world-renowned Philadelphia Museum of Art, there is so much to discover and learn about in this city!

Franklin Institute: 222 N 20th St

Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University: 1900 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy

Philadelphia Museum of Art: 2600 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy

3. Movies   

Photo courtesy of Visit Philly

While gloomy weather makes us want to stay in, there’s truly nothing more magical than catching a new film on the big screen. Philly has some amazing theaters, that showcase films not offered at the traditional locations. The PFS Roxy Theater and The Ritz at the Bourse offer a variety of independent, documentary, classic and popular films. 

PFS Roxy Theater: 2023 Sansom Street

The Ritz at the Bourse: 400 Ranstead Street

4. Fashion District

Photo courtesy of Billy Penn

If you are from the Philadelphia area, you may remember a once lively shopping center downtown known as the Gallery. For the past few years, the center was under construction, but it has finally reopened for all of us to enjoy! Now known as the Fashion District, the mall has an Ulta, H&M, Nike Factory store and more. Perfect for a day filled with the retail therapy we are all in desperate need of! ​

Fashion District: Market Street 19107

5. Stay In!

While all adventures are good adventures, there’s truly no attraction that beats sitting home in your pajamas, with a cup of warm tea and your favorite songs to heighten the gloomy emotion. Take some time off and spend it with yourself or loved ones and enjoy the weather.

Photo courtesy of Brentg33

Philadelphia is a beautiful city. Rain or shine, make time to see some of the gems in the city of brotherly love. From coffee shops, to theaters to shopping, there’s something for everyone. That’s what makes this city so special.

Hello! My name is Rifah. I'm a Design and Merchandising major, who has a passion for fashion, photography, good food and shows!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.