This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Like most people, I have a long list of shows and movies to watch on my Netflix account. However, I usually end up re-watching my favorites. With the successful revivals of both Gilmore Girls and Will & Grace recently, I’ve started to wonder what other classic TV shows deserve their own revamp. Below are a few of my favorite shows that were cancelled before they should have been or at least deserve more airtime.

1. My So-Called Life (1994 – 1995)

Image courtesy of Hulu

This cult classic only lasted for one season and that is a crime. My So-Called Life is ‘90s gold. Claire Danes plays Angela Chase, a 15-year-old struggling to find herself in high school. Danes did such a great job portraying teenage angst that she won an Emmy for her work. Along with Angela, you have characters like Rayanne (who struggles with alcohol addiction), Ricky (the first openly LGBT+ teen on American television), and Jordan Catalano (Jared Leto in his absolute prime). At only 18 episodes, the season finale left us with cliffhangers galore and it would be great to catch up with the characters and see what they’ve been doing for the past 23 years. If you haven’t seen it yet, the series is on Hulu.

2. Freaks and Geeks (1999 – 2000)

This series is again, a cult classic. Set in Michigan during the 1980’s, this gem was cancelled after its thirteenth episode, and the cast and crew were forced to wrap up the plots quickly in the remaining five episodes. What makes this show so great is that it ends on a bittersweet note for the viewers. Yes, the finale is happy, but it also leaves you longing to keep watching. This show helped bring James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segal, and Judd Apatow into the spotlight and is currently on Netflix for those who have not seen it yet.

3. Undeclared (2001 – 2003)

Image courtesy of Buzzfeed

This is another early Judd Apatow production and it’s just as good as his other work. It follows a group of new freshmen dealing with their first year of college. It perfectly captures the awkwardness that being new can bring, but it also highlights how everyone is in the same boat. If you watch it, you’ll notice a ton of familiar faces (Seth Rogen, Ben Stiller, Jason Segal, Amy Poehler, etc.). This show isn’t on Netflix or Hulu, but if you’re intrigued enough to see it, you can probably find it somewhere online.

4. Dawson’s Creek (1998 – 2003)

This show lasted for six seasons, but I still need more of it. Dawson’s Creek was a huge hit when it first premiered in the late ‘90s. Sure, some of the plotlines are really out there (Pacey’s entire season is one relationship, for instance) but that doesn’t mean you don’t fall into their rabbit hole. Joey is the perfect girl-next-door, and her series-long chemistry with both Pacey and Dawson leaves you torn, rooting for both couples to exist. While it’s not available on Netflix, the show is available on Hulu.

5. Friends (1994 – 2004)

Image courtesy of People

Ten seasons wasn’t long enough. I have never met someone who hasn’t seen an episode of this New York comedy, and for good reason – Friends is one of the most popular sitcoms to have ever aired. Monica, Rachel, Ross, Chandler, Joey, and Phoebe are the ultimate group of friends and their storylines are on syndication every day. While there were false rumors a few years ago about a reunion, it would be great if one day the rumors turn to truth. You already know all ten seasons are on Netflix because you’ve watched them during lecture, haven’t you?

These are my top five TV shows I think we deserve to see on our television screens again. There’s a reason why they were so popular when they were originally on air, and they’d be just as entertaining if on air now. As stated, most are available online either on Netflix or Hulu. Feel free to give them a chance the next time you’re bored!

Bebhinn Nagle is a pre-junior at Drexel University, where she is majoring in Nursing. Along with this role of writer for HerCampus Drexel, she is also the recruitment chair for the school's student nurses' association.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.