5 Things You Miss About Your Mom When You Go To College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Going away to college means that you’ll experience a lot of new adventures in your life, but it also means that you’re leaving something important behind: your mother. Leaving someone who has been with you nearly every day of your childhood life can lead to homesickness and, sometimes, too many calls home. Here are some of the things that you (and I) miss the most about her:

Image courtesy of Pixabay

1. Her wisdom

Your mom has already lived through it all: school, dating, friendships, gaining independence, finding her path in life and becoming and adult. Chances are, she knows just what you’re going through and can give you sound advice to follow whenever you need it.

2. Her support

Whenever you need somebody to talk to, somebody that will take your side, your mom is the first person that you call. She doesn’t judge but instead gives the empathy and compassion that she knows you need when you go to her with a problem. Your mom is the one that always congratulates you on what you think is a minor achievement, tries to convince you that you’re absolutely a rock star, and gives you the confidence boost that you need.

3. Her tough love

On the other hand, sometimes what you don’t need is a shoulder to cry on but somebody to tell you to shape up. Even though your mom is your #1 support system, she can also be the one person that tells you how it is. Whether it’s the fact that you’re not focusing enough on school, dating somebody who’s not right for you, overreacting in a fight with a friend or professor or anything else, your mom is always the one that can sit you down and give you that tough love. And since you trust her to be right, you listen to it and get your perspective fixed.

4. Her quirkiness

It might be a stereotype, but I feel like a lot of people can agree with it: moms can be a little weird sometimes. As embarrassing as it can be when she says one of her quirky catchphrases or anything else semi-mortifying in front of your friends, sometimes you can’t help but miss it when you’re gone.

5. Her cooking

Personally, my mom isn’t a master chef, but some of my favorite dishes are her recipes: homemade mac & cheese, meatloaf, stuffed shells, bowties and cottage cheese, creamy mashed potatoes and more. Likely, your mom knows how to make your favorite foods just the way you like them. And when you’re too lazy to take the walk across campus to the dining hall and the only thing in your refrigerator is ketchup and milk, you’re going to be missing her home-cooked dinners even more.

These are just a few of the million ways you might miss your mom now that you’re out of the house. Sure you can always call her up when you want to talk to her, but sometimes a phone call isn’t quite the same thing. Make sure that you show your mom you care about her this Mother’s Day (and every day)!

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.