5 Things to do in Honor of Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Fat Tuesday is about indulging in decadent foods, energetic music and raucous parties. When most people hear “Mardi Gras,” they think of New Orleans, as this city can be considered the epitome of celebrating this holiday. Maybe you’re not going to the Big Easy and need some ideas to make it feel as if you’re there. We’ve got some ideas as to how you can carry that out. 

1. Throw Some Beads

The throwing of beads or other trinkets was derived from an old tradition where floats in the parades would toss strings of beads to people in the crowd. Often times, people misconstrue the tradition with flashing the thrower but, that is not really a Mardi Gras tradition. On Mardi Gras, give out beads to people who seem into the holiday.

2. Indulge in Tasty, Fattening Foods 

New Orleans is one of the many food capitals in the U.S. There’s jambalaya, gumbo, king’s cake, and beignets! This is for the adamant Fat Tuesday lovers. If you cook, perhaps you can prepare a New Orleans-inspired dinner for your friends or family.

3. PARTY

New Orleans’ Mardi Gras celebration is sometimes called, “the greatest free party on Earth.” You’ll definitely want to go to a party or maybe even host your own! Philadelphia is sure to have tons of stuff going on. 

4. Attend a Carnival 

When it comes to Fat Tuesday, carnivals are a given. And while we aren’t in Louisiana to celebrate, our beloved Mummers have got us covered with a special parade this year. Grab your family for this event!

5. Blast Some Music 

One way that will get you in the energetic mood is blasting some Louisianan music or some Zydeco tunes. New Orleans-based group, Rebirth Brass Band, is what you’ll want to play. I promise, you’ll forget that you’re in Philadelphia for the night!

This awesome holiday is a time for you to let loose a little and enjoy life. Enjoy this cultural celebration with these ideas. So, as they say in the Big Easy laissez les bons temps rouler or let the good times roll!

Simone Wiley is a freshman majoring in fashion design.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.