This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

A major defining feature for us ladies is our lips. They show just as much emotion as our eyes and even our words. A smile or frown can reveal your mood in an instant. Another great way to use your mouth to make a statement is through lipstick. The color we wear on our lips not only expresses our personalities, but accentuates the emotion behind them.  

This past year or so has been very big for make-up, particularly lipsticks. From Jeffree Star’s limited edition summer line to Kylie’s summer surprises to MAC’s announcement of their Star Trek limited collection, there’s been no shortage of beauty news in the lip department. Here is a list of some of the top shades and brands worn by bloggers, gurus and celebs during these warm months.

Reds

Reds will never go out of style. They are worn year around for all occasions. A red lip is a signature color that every girl must own, whether it’s a vampy red, red-orange, candy apple or MAC’s Russian Red ($17) or Ruby Woo ($17).  Whatever it is, you should have a staple red in your cosmetic bag and if you don’t – well it’s time to find one. You might also like Colourpop’s Avenue ($6).

Clear Glossy Lips

Natural, plump and glossed lips became a huge trend after people took note of Vera Wang this past spring. These natural baby doll lips make your look seem effortless and sweet. This look works for when you’re in no mood to line your lips and carefully apply lippies. It’s perfect for the summer and is refreshing, natural and bright. I recommend the Blossom Lip Gloss ($6) from Urban Outfitters. These hidden gems come in multiple flavors. Not only are they absolutely adorable, but they are some of the best glosses I’ve ever encountered. They have the perfect amount of glossiness and are long lasting too.

Metallic Lips

Metallic lippies are one of the biggest lip trends right now, behind matte lips of course. Thanks, Kylie! Metallic may be a hard look to pull off for a casual day, but for an event, it gives off futuristic diva and luxe vibes that will make everyone do a double take.

Kylie Cosmetics Metals: King K ($18), Reign ($18), and Heir ($18).

Dusty Pinks, and Mauves

This particular shade of nude is one color that looks good on everyone, no matter what skin tone or lip shape you have. Since it’s a cool-toned nude, you would think that it works best in the colder months, but that little hint of pink gives the tone some warmth that makes it a perfect year-round shade.

Mac Velvet Teddy ($17)

NYX Abu Dhabi ($6)

Sweet Satin Pinks

When summer comes to mind, we think of sweet pinks. This shade is a type of pink that is a bit darker with a small hint of red in it. It’s the kind of natural pink that looks like it could just be your natural lip color. 

MAC Sweetie ($17)

Rimmel for Kate Moss 104 ($5.49 from Ulta.com)

There you have it – some of the most flattering shades worn this summer. This past summer wasn’t about bright corals and fuchsias popping off our lips. It was about keeping it subtle, natural and feminine. Pink shades may be sweet, but they still have an edge to them. Put on your favorite Chapstick, grab one of these lippies and enjoy your last month of sipping lemonade on the beach. Let us know what your favorite lipstick shade is by tweeting us a picture (@HerCampusDrexel)!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.