5 Spicy Desserts to Jazz Up Your Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Add a twist on holiday traditional sweets by turning up the heat! There is a trend in the culinary world, popularizing spicy desserts. Listed are a few recipes for the bold and daring who want to wow their friends and family by adding a little surprise and delight to dessert this year. Get out your glasses and fill them with milk for these spicy classics!

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies

The recipe has a few more steps than your box brownie mix, but definitely worth it with a delicious fudgy brownie. The kick comes from ancho chiles, or dried poblano peppers, and spicy chocolate layer spread out on top. An important thing to notice is that the ancho chiles that the recipe calls for are dried, so don’t go asking the produce lady where the ancho chiles are (like I did), and look in the dried seasonings or hispanic section.

Extra Spicy Ginger Snap Cookies

Gingersnaps are an absolute must at Christmas time. These gingersnap cookies will be brought up to the next level with a heavy pinch of cayenne, complementing the warm traditional spices of ginger and clove. Be ready to empty out your cookie jar for your next favorite flavor!

Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Sweet Potato Fudge

This fudge is rich, dense, chocolatey and everything you want in a fudge with a kick that leaves you with a warm lingering feeling. The best part is that everyone can enjoy it being vegan and gluten free! You also eating healthy sweet potatoes as your eating fudge, what can be better than that?

Spicy Mango Jalapeño Ice Cream

This is a fruity ice cream with a bite! The flavor combination does sound odd at first glance but come together much more naturally in your mouth. It reminded me of the sriracha and mango bagel I tried at Schmear It called the Flaming Islander. You can be proud to tell your friends that you made your OWN ice cream with a flavor they’ve never heard of.

Spicy Chocolate Clusters

If you want a simple dessert with a wow factor, this recipe is just for you! This recipe of Spicy Chocolate Clusters is just a handful of ingredients, combining nuts, chocolate and a hint of spice you’ll get a scrumptious nugget that is hard for anyone to turn down!

And there you have it, five recipes to decide which way you will mix it up this holiday! Which ever one you choose will be a showstopper at your next event or as your next gift. I wish everyone the best of luck and fun cooking up these recipes and a Happy Holidays from yours truly!

Abbey Keller

Drexel '22

I am a sophomore at Drexel University majoring in Health Science and Minoring in Nutrition. I love cooking, playing squash and a good church service!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.