5 More Unconventional Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Dinner, movie, repeat. Ok maybe your dating life is a little more exciting than that, but there always seems to come a time when you and your partner get into a rut about where to go on dates. Instead of cuddling up on the couch for the sixth Friday night in a row, try out some of these unique and unconventional date ideas all around Center City.

1. The Blue Comedy Show

Looking for something a bit raunchier than a typical comedy show but still as hysterical? Check out the Blue Comedy show on the last Friday of every month. To put it simply, it’s a Comedy Sports for Adults and BYOB is encouraged. Tickets are $12 and you’ll hear jokes that would make any parent uncomfortable. Audience participation is always appreciated, but even if you aren’t brave enough to shout out a word or volunteer, you’ll leave with aching sides and a new opinion of dirty jokes. Maybe not the best place for a first date unless you know your partner really well and are confident they’ll appreciate this kind of humor.

2. Window-shopping around Rittenhouse with a cold beverage

Probably one of the cheapest ideas on this list is to just walk around Rittenhouse’s beautiful shops, imagining a debt-free life after college where you can spend $500 on a dress you’ll only wear twice. The stores between 14th and  19th on Walnut have beautiful window displays featuring their high quality threads. It’s always fun to look and see what items you should be looking for in the more budget friendly stores so you can still appear on trend while having money for dinner. The cold beverage is purely optional as a way to keep cool in the warm months. Depending on the weather, hand holding might not work out so well if you want to avoid the sweaty-hand situation.

3. Trying the most unique item you can find at Reading Terminal Market/China Town

If you’re a part of an adventurous couple, give yourselves a food challenge. Reading Terminal Market has mounds of international cuisine options, ranging from Chinese, Greek, and Indian, and you’ll always be able to find something new and interesting. Chinatown is another great place to test your tongue’s limits with their variety of Asian cuisines like Malaysian or Cambodian. You could even have a competition to find the most unique or extreme item on the menu with the loser buying dessert.

Tour through City Hall, Observation Deck Access

Sure you’ve probably passed through City Hall trying to get from one side to the other, or maybe you got lost in Suburban station and took the City Hall exit and found yourself right underneath the dome, but I bet (city government co-ops aside) you’ve never been inside our wonderful city’s headquarters. Tours are offered throughout the week and if you hit it at the right time, you can even get a ticket for the observation deck! Imagine the Snapchat selfie opportunities!

Science After Hours (21+) at the Franklin Institute

ATTENTION: The Franklin Institute isn’t just for wild unsupervised kids anymore! Our city’s homage to the great Ben Franklin hosts a series of “Science After Hours” nights specifically designed for an audience 21 and over. They host these events once a month, so make sure to mark your calendars. Providing great opportunities for conversation starters while learning about science, the Franklin Institute’s “Science After Hours” is bound to provide an electrifying experience. (Yes I went there. If you have a problem with it, go fly a kite ;) )

Some honorable mentions include Philadelphia Ghost Tours and the Philadelphia Brewing Company Tour and Tasting event. Both highlight Philadelphia’s amazing history and are sure to provide at least a couple hours of entertainment.

I hope these date ideas provide inspiration or motivation to go out and try new things with your partner. You might learn something completely new about them in the process, which is just another added bonus. So go on, get out of UCity for the night, and have some awesome new experiences!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.