This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Social media outlets today hold more power than we think they do. Everyone likes to think that Instagram or Snapchat doesn’t affect their daily lives, but if you are being honest with yourself, they really do. I feel that this is especially true with girls and Instagram. I mean, when is the last time you overheard a girl talking about some Insta-famous girl who was “perfect” and saying that they wanted her body or life? It was probably five minutes ago or it was you yourself saying it. This is toxic. Some girl who we have never met before posing in a bikini on some beach in Fiji should not make us feel bad about ourselves. For starters, that picture could potentially be edited. Second, we don’t know her real life, her stomach is 100% not that flat all the time and she is probably not that tan either. Third, who the hell cares? You are a hard-working college student, studying your butt off so you can have a crazy good job someday. So, kudos to you! Insta-famous girls who are described as “perfect” (as if that is a thing) should not be getting you down. So, here is a list of Instagram accounts to follow that will boost your mood and make you feel good about yourself. 

1) National Geographic (@natgeo)

I feel like we often forget that there is a world beyond the quad and lecture hall. National Geographic posts some really cool photographs of nature, people and animals.  Not only are the photos they post beautiful, but their captions describe the meaning behind the photo and are often super educational. Most of the animal pictures they post are of cute baby animals too, so that’s a bonus. 

Image courtesy of Twisted Sifter

2) History In Pictures (@historyphotographed)

@historyphotographed is a great account to follow if you love old photography or history. Many of the photos are extremely interesting and educational. I reccommend this account to everyone. 

Image courtesy of History in Pictures

3) WhoHaha (@whohaha)

WhoHaha was created to bring attention to women in comedy. They have their own website, but also an awesome Instagram. Their posts are either videos of women in comedy or inspirational. messages. WhoHaha is a great account to follow if you want a good laugh, but also some inspiration and pieces of wisdom from women aimed towards women. 

4) Reese Witherspoon (@reesewitherspoon)

Reese is the all-time lady bad-a**. She stole our hearts in Legally Blonde and continues to amaze us. Reese is a huge advocate for female power and self-love, and her Instagram posts are centered around that. She also posts about her book club, so if you are interested, you could even join a book club run by Reese herself! 

Image courtesy of Glamour

5) Dogs Gallery (@dogsgallery)

You probably already follow a cute animal account, but is there such a thing as too many cute animal pics? I don’t think so. @Dogsgallery has adorable photos and videos of puppies and dogs doing stuff. Sometimes all it takes is a cute dog pic to brighten your day. 

Image courtesy of Dogs Gallery

Our days are stressful enough. We should not be following accounts that make us feel worse about ourselves. Our social media should boost our moods and open our minds, so hopefully you will enjoy this wide variety of educational and entertaining Instagrams!

Born and raised in the city of Philadelphia. Currently a nursing student at Drexel University. When not writing for HerCampus or studying loves to run, read and draw.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.