5 Holiday Drink Ideas Guaranteed to Impress Your Guests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With the weather (finally) getting colder, we’ll soon be looking for any reason to stay inside and cozy up with our loved ones. So we’ve compiled a list of five must-have drinks that’ll have everyone begging for another round! Get the glasses ready for a spirited time!

1. Eggnog

If you can’t resist buying this holiday favorite every year, this time you should try making your own! It’s a fun way to catch up with your BFF before a movie night and could also be a fun way to ease into cooking with your SO. This eggnog recipe can be made just as yummy without the bourbon if you prefer, and should be pureed before serving either raw or cooked.

Ingredients:

· 4 egg yolks

· 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon

· 1 pint whole milk

· 1 cup heavy cream

· 3 ounces bourbon

· 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

· 4 egg whites*

How to:

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon, and nutmeg. Stir ingredients.

2. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running, gradually add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

3. Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

*Cook’s Note: For cooked eggnog, follow the procedure below.

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream, and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

2. Apple Cider Cinnamon Spice Mix

Is your crew notoriously late to get-togethers? This recipe is perfect to mix up while you’re waiting for your guests to begin arriving. Once they’re all there, heat some apple cider on the stove, add this in, and be prepared for the resounding “yummm”s—no kitchen cleanup or frazzled hostess required!

Ingredients:

· 4 cups sugar

· 1 ounce ground cinnamon

· ½ tablespoon ground nutmeg

· ½ tablespoon ground cloves

How to:

Start with 1 tablespoon per quart of juice but adjust to taste!

3. Tequila Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate

We all have memories of sipping hot chocolate from a mug or thermos on a frigid winter day, watching the steam billow up in little tendrils that tickled our noses with the scent of creamy chocolate and marshmallows. This is an adult take on a well-loved childhood classic that will have you feeling happy in more ways than one!

Ingredients:

· 1/4 cup cocoa powder

· 1 tablespoon granulated sugar

· a pinch kosher salt

· 3 cups whole milk

· 4 ounces milk chocolate chips

· 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips

· 4 ounces tequila

· 2 ounces peppermint schnapps

· Whipped cream and mint leaf garnish

How to:

1. In medium saucepan, stir cocoa with sugar and salt. Stir in milk, milk chocolate, and bittersweet chocolate. Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and the mixture is hot. Gently whisk to completely homogenize the mixture.

2. Add tequila and peppermint schnapps. Divide into serving cups and top with whipped cream and mint.

4. Spiked Butterbeer

Okay, it’s not really Butterbeer, but this buttered rum recipe is enough to make any Harry Potter fan rejoice! If you spent your childhood reading about the picturesque Hogwarts castle and imagining roaming the snowy grounds with this drink in hand, you’re going to be thrilled with this recipe. 

Ingredients:

· 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar

· 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

· 1/4 cup honey

· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

· 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

· 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

· A pinch salt

· 3/4 cup spiced rum

· 2 cups boiling water

· 4 sticks of cinnamon for garnish

How to:

Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.

5. Champagne Mocktails

With NYE just around the corner, we’re all ready to obsess over planning our hair and makeup, but what about the parties? It’s important to be able to provide non-alcoholic beverage options to your guests who either don’t drink or just want a break from the booze. This light, refreshing take on champagne cocktails is sure to leave your crowd feeling more glam than a Gatsby party.

Ingredients:

· 1 2-liter bottle of CHILLED ginger ale

· 1/2 can of frozen white grape juice concentrate, thawed

· 1 small basket of raspberries, rinsed and drained

How to:

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and stir. Serve in fancy glass of your choice. Say cheers after you clink glasses.

And there you have it, Dragons! By mixing up one or two of these amazing recipes at your next holiday party or lazy night in, you’ll have a great time with your houseguests. And of course bragging rights are in order when everyone asks for seconds.

Cheers!

Sources:

Eggnog: Food Network

Apple Cider Cinnamon Spice Mix: Savory Nothings

Tequila Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Serious Eats

Butter Beer: Food Network

Champagne Mock-tails: Oh So Delicioso

Jenna Adrian is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She studies Design & Merchandising. She's currently paving the way to create a career that will unite her passion for both style and government policy reform. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, running, and learning the in's and out's of city culture. You can find her at a coffee shop, a networking event, or brainstorming for her latest article. Check out her thoughts on coffee, fashion, and life in the city on her personal blog, & some like it haute. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.