This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Fall is typically known as the season of dark shades. This season’s lipstick shades are darker shades of our favorite colors – purple becomes plum, red becomes maroon, and green becomes olive. Lately, a lot of our fashion and beauty decisions have also been inspired by the angst of 1990s. So there is no surprise that a few of the shades to try this fall are taken straight from the decade of grunge. Deep shades with undertones of red and orange along with the vampy colors we all can’t get enough of are all the rage. If you’re looking to switch up your look this season, try out one of these shades.

‘90s Brown

Since 2016 is the new ‘90s, we might as well keep the trend going and rock a nice and creamy, brown lipstick. NYX carries some great variations of this color including NYX Matte Lipstick in Maison ($5.99) and NYX Liquid Suede Lipstick in Brooklyn Thorn ($6.99).

Deep Grape

Dark purples have been one of our favorite colors for quite some time now. We can’t seem to get over them and each season the shade just gets richer and darker. A deep grape color is very dark, but with a hint of purple it makes for a great fall shade. Try Buxom’s Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick ($22).

Black Cherry

Unlike a deep grape, a black cherry is not as dark, and has hints of red in the color, which brightens up your face and makes your lips pop. Black cherry colors look best when applied as a lip stain rather than a lipstick, it makes your lips look much more natural with the strong color. Revlon makes a great version, the Super Lustrous Créme Lipstick line in Black Cherry ($4.99).

Burnt Red

Another shade that’s been revived from the ‘90s is grungy burnt red. This red is deep and dusty with some orange undertones leaving you with a natural yet bold look. You might like MAC’s lipstick in Sin ($17).

Magenta

Although this may seem like a strange one, magenta is the perfect mix between pink and purple that makes this color different from the rest. It’s vibrant, not too dark and really brightens up your entire face. Try Urban Decay’s ‘Vice’ Lipstick in Crank ($17).

All the shades listed are fairly dark. We know some of you may not be big fans of all these dark hues because they aren’t very suitable for everyday life with classes and work. But that shouldn’t stop you from experimenting with them since darker hues are in! Don’t be afraid to make a bold beauty statement. If you want to try the deep grape, but you’re worried about how dark it is, just find a lighter shade with the same rich purple color. Let us know your favorite fall shade this season and tweet us a picture (@hercampusdrexel)!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.