This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner and it’s time to spruce up your dorm or apartment with festive decorations. What better way to add some Halloween spirit to your place than with pumpkins? Give the spooky jack-o’-lantern carvings a rest this year and opt for something a little more cheerful. Thanks to HC Drexel, this year your pumpkins can look a little prettier than ever before.

1. Frosted Donut

• Mini pumpkin
  • Pink and beige acrylic paints
  • Paint pens in assorted colors
  • Paint brush

This strawberry frosted donut looks good enough to eat! The pastel colors coupled with the bright accent of the sprinkles are a refreshing spin on the traditional black and orange color scheme of this holiday. Start off by painting the entire pumpkin beige (even the stalk), and then let that coat dry. Next, paint the upper half of the pumpkin pink leaving a small circular section around the stalk beige to create the illusion of a donut hole. Once the pink layer dries, then make small dashes using paint pens in an assortment of colors for the sprinkles.

2. Mod Podge Collage

• Medium pumpkin
  • Matte-mat-mate Mod Podge
  • Sponge brush

Halloween just got sentimental with this pumpkin collage. This unique display beats any frame or photo album! Print out black and white photos of you and your family and friends on plain white paper. Cut out your photos and use a sponge brush to dab mod podge to the back of the pictures, then gently place them onto the pumpkin using your fingers or the sponge.

3. Drippy Colors

• Medium pumpkin
  • White acrylic paint
  • Sponge/paint brush
  • Tape/super glue
  • Box of crayons (8-10)
  • Hairdryer

This design was definitely the most fun (and messy) to create! Start by painting the pumpkin white using a sponge brush or a paintbrush. Once dry, tape or paste 8 to 10 crayons onto the top of the pumpkin in a circular pattern around the stalk. I taped the crayons down using scotch tape and they didn’t stick very well between the wind from the hairdryer and melting wax, so super gluing them down might be a more secure option. Once all the crayons are in place, begin blow-drying them on the highest power and heat setting until the crayons are melted to your liking. This process is extremely messy, so I would suggest doing it outside and/or putting newspaper down.

4. Glitter n’ Gold

• Medium pumpkin
  • Matte-mat-mate Mod Podge
  • Sponge brush
  • 1 White doily
  • Gold glitter

This super simple project is classy and cute! First, cut a white doily in half and blot mod podge onto one side of it then gently press it into place toward the bottom of the pumpkin. Let this dry, then sponge mod podge onto the entire stalk and sprinkle gold glitter onto the area, shake off the excess. This gold and glittery pumpkin is elegant and makes a gorgeous table centerpiece!

5. Galaxy

• Medium pumpkin
  • White acrylic paint
  • Matte-mat-mate Mod Podge or spray glue
  • Purple glitter

With just three easy steps, this DIY project is the quickest on our list making it perfect for some last-minute festivity. Paint a white base coat onto the entire pumpkin, then let dry. Next, cover the entire pumpkin (except the stalk) in mod podge or spray glue and dump as much or as little glitter onto the area as you see fit.

The cats and skeletons may be classic Halloween carvings, but these five DIY designs are great for putting a girly touch on the gory holiday! I used Americana and Craft Smart acrylic paints, Craft Smart paint pens, Wilton doilies, Krylon spray glue, and Crayola crayons for these projects. All the decorating materials suggested above were purchased at Michaels Arts & Crafts. Happy crafting, collegiettes!

Show us how you decorated your pumpkins this year!

Instagram: @hercampusdrexel

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.