This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

There are a handful of trends that continuously make the rounds every fall season. The trends that came to mind were probably the flannels you have too many of and the ankle boots you always reach for. While there’s nothing wrong with rocking these trends this fall (we sure will be), it won’t do any harm to try out some newer trends as well. Who passes up an excuse to shop?! Here are four new trends to try this fall:

1. TurtlenecksTurtlenecks are perfect for the transitional weather. As we’ve experienced in the past three-or-so weeks since fall term began, the climate hasn’t really been consistent. So, it may not be appropriate for any heavy clothing or bulky outerwear–yet. Turtlenecks aren’t the dreaded, shapeless things they used to be—long-gone are the days when your mom had to force you into one. Now, they’re available in sleeveless styles, which are perfect for the warmer days, and lightweight long sleeve styles that are perfect for the cooler days. Many of them are even cute and cropped! They can be paired with a number of things such as high-waisted A-line skirts, high-waisted jeans, mom jeans, or you can even wear them under a pair of overalls. 

1 | 2 | 3

2. SneakersThis fall is undeniably becoming a sneaker season. Your gym shoes have been upgraded and are being worn even when you’re not working out. Nike is constantly releasing progressively lighter weight sneakers and Adidas is reviving classics such as the Stan Smith originals. Even if you’re not a sporty gal, there’s a sneaker for everyone! A simple black and white pair is the perfect place to start or you can take a risk and purchase an all white pair (who cares about no white after Labor Day?!). If you really want to get into the fall spirit, find a pair in a fall color like beige, olive, or burgundy. Sneakers can dress down your look and make it feel more casual, and since they’re trending, they won’t compromise your style. You can wear them with jeans, leggings, and even some dresses.

1 | 2 | 3

3. Flare JeansDo you remember when your jeans weren’t skinny? You may not, but your mom definitely remembers rocking bell-bottoms in her day. In fact, she was probably a proud owner of the flare jean when they first came out. The flare jean is making a huge come back this season! The cut comes in a flattering fit for almost every body type. The flare jean creates a chic silhouette that goes perfectly with booties, sneakers, or pumps. They are fitted throughout the hips and thighs while flaring slightly at mid calf. You can also find the flare jean in a high-rise style to pair with your favorite crop top.

1 | 2 | 3

4. SuedeSuede is a type of soft, slightly fuzzy, leather. Yet again, your mother might recognize this trend or maybe you remember Fez from That 70s Show wearing a suede vest. Either way, this is definitely something you will be seeing a lot of this fall. From suede skirts to suede dresses and everything else in between, this soft material will be seen on almost everything this fall, including shoes. This is the perfect opportunity to update your over worn booties for a modern suede pair.

1 | 2 | 3

While we will always be faithful to the flannel, skinny jeans and bootie combination that we have come to love, this year will bring some fashionable updates to our fall closet. From new textures to new takes on classic styles, this season’s trends will keep us chic and runway ready. What are you waiting for? Grab your purse and go shop!

Design & Merchandising major
Maegan is a sophomore History major at Drexel University who constantly contemplates double majoring or double minoring. When she's not writing a paper, reading or watching Netflix, she can be found day-dreaming, eating, staring at the sun or all of the above.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.