4 DIY Ways to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Love yourself. Not as easy as it sounds, right? Sure, it is easy for us to love our roommate, best friends, SO, or even our cats, but do you actually spend time loving yourself? While treating yourself to that shopping trip that went a little over budget might be a form of loving yourself, try some new ways to appreciate who you are this month. Take some time to check in with your mind and body, appreciate who you are, and fall in love with yourself! This doesn’t just call for the occasional pampering; we are talking about full-on appreciation for the things you love (and may not love) about yourself.

1. Write it out

Between class and co-op, sometimes we feel like the work never ends. Daily journaling might seem like just another task on your list when all you really want to do is curl up and watch Netflix, but trust me on this one. The best part about journaling is that it isn’t perfect. Just let go and write, don’t worry about making it perfect for your audience to read. You are your audience so take some time to do something just for yourself.

Journaling is a great constructive outlet for stress, sadness, anger and all those feelings in-between. Don’t let it become a chore, find some great journaling topics on Pinterest and take part in writing for you. If you’re feeling artistic throw a few drawings in and enjoy the time spent creating something new.

2. Take a deep breath

Create some space through mindful meditation; take a crack at something new like yoga! Check out the Rec Center’s schedule for all styles of yoga classes. Maybe a class at the Rec Center isn’t for you. I highly recommend checking out the wonderful virtual yoga classes YouTube has to offer. Search for everything from guided meditation, relaxation, and yoga for beginners.

Looking to challenge you with a new move? Explore what your body can do? There are even some great how-to videos to follow. This New Year I have been following “Yoga with Adriene” on YouTube, and it has been fantastic. She is gentle in her practice, but keeps it light with jokes and alternative moves. Not motivated enough to do a home practice? Check out Groupon for some great yoga studios in our area. Some specials list up to five classes for less than $30 bucks! Whatever it takes, take a deep breath, create space, and love your body.

3. You are what you eat

Feeling sluggish post-holiday? It’s the dead of winter and you would kill for a fresh piece of fruit, right? Love and nourish yourself with some healthy feel good foods. Meal prep can help with that winter weight we all seem to gain by being much more sedentary.

Bouncing between work, school, and life? Invest in some great on-the-go food containers to pack yummy fresh fruits and veggies for nourishment throughout the day. Homemade “green” smoothies are a delicious way to get your veggies and feel refreshed.

It may not be super complex, but eating your fruits and veggies nourishes your body with vitamins and minerals (your body will thank you later)! As a collegiette, fruits and veggies may be hard to come by on a college budget, but fear not — I know the struggle all too well. Trader Joes can be a bit pricey for produce, so utilize that Drexel ID and the Drexel Shuttle. Take the shuttle to 15th and Race streets (Center City Campus) and take a quick walk to Reading Terminal. The produce stands take credit cards and give you an extra 10 percent off with your student ID. A fridge full of fruits and veggies can cost you less than $20 bucks!

4. Look good, feel good

I have embraced this age-old tradition. Have a tough exam? Don’t roll up in sweats! Put on your comfy cute outfit, throw on some make up, maybe your favorite earrings and rock that exam! Everyone says to dress for yourself, so let’s actually listen. Just because it is a Tuesday doesn’t mean you can’t rock your Friday outfit or your favorite booties, and wear that confidence proudly. Dress for you and no one else, because let’s be honest: you’ll make yourself smile more than anyone else could.

Looking for that extra pep in your step? How about a homemade sugar scrub? Sugar scrubs can be made with simple ingredients lying around your apartment, and are a great way to combat that dry winter skin. Your skin will feel amazing, making it all the more easier to #LoveYourself!

Take some time to love the skin you’re in! If you can spend time on loving your friends and your schoolwork (kind of), its time to take a step back and appreciate who you are. Love your body and appreciate your mind. This winter, sit back, relax, and get to loving you for you!

Dyana is a pre-junior at Drexel University with a double major in marketing and finance.  She is often stuck on campus studying for her majors, but in her free time she loves to explore what the city has to offer.  Dyana also loves to exercise and stay active all year round; she is always trying new workouts and researching the best way to stay active.  As a closet writer, she is excited to publish her work for Her Campus Drexel! 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.