3 Fun Outfit Ideas for the Professional Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

There’s often times a stigma that goes along with dressing professionally. People tend to think of business professional as boring. Most times, this is the case since it’s easier to stay on the safe side and go with the norm that is already set in place. However, getting dressed should be fun! If you look good, you feel good. If you stay ahead of the office pack by dressing a little more fun and interesting, it can be a great way to stand out and be remembered for a good thing.

1. All Black

When in doubt, wear black! I personally believe that there’s nothing boring about an all black outfit, but some people might. A great way to add visual interest would be by adding layers. Try making the staple of your outfit something unexpected, like a pair of overalls. You’ll obviously want to stay away from denim overalls, but there are other styles available that can help you pull off rocking a pair in the office, like crepe or velvet, for example. Also, a little tailoring will go a long way.

2. One Colored Piece

Black slacks or trousers are staples in your work wardrobe. Make a bold statement by opting for a colored pair of slacks or trousers instead. To play it safe, lean toward neutral or earth tones. They’re super easy to pair with nude or black pieces, so you don’t have to worry about finding shoes that match! You can play around with the cut and style, making sure not to veer off into the tacky territory. Whichever style you choose, this subtle change can totally transform an outfit and guarantee a second look.

3. Turtlenecks 

The classic two-piece suit has seen its fair share of alterations, makeovers, and such. Regardless of the many ways to wear it, almost everyone has a black blazer and pants to match. A great way to get sufficient use out of the suit would be to pair it with something other than a stiff, white shirt. This is where all your turtlenecks come into play. You can alternate between the several different styles you have and essentially create a new outfit every time. A turtleneck with a little sparkle will ensure the outfit is far from dull. Even though the change is very subtle, you can assure that you’ll look different enough to stand out, but also professional enough to belong in the office.

Dressing professionally is an art that many can master. It doesn’t have to be boring or dreadful. Maintaining a professional image doesn’t mean it has to stiff or drab. Don’t be afraid to have fun and play around with unexpected pieces to bring some life into the office.

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.