3 Fashion Month Trends to Take from the Runway to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Each fashion month, designers showcase their collections a whole six months before they are available for purchase. In today’s digital age, where we’re used to receiving everything quickly through social media, the six-month wait has proven to grown tiresome for consumers. This has caused some designers to resort to a new, see-now buy-now method that allows consumers to purchase the collections immediately after they are shown.

For the others that stick to the six-month timeline, fast fashion retailers often beat them to the punch and produce similar trends at a fraction of the price. This makes it easier for all of us who are on a college student’s budget and wouldn’t be able to purchase a thing from designers’ collection when they release, anyway. Thanks to fast fashion retailers, we have the chance to rock designer trends without paying designer prices.

Sheer Details
As seen on the runways of: Simone Rocha, Christian Dior and Balmain
Look for less: Forever 21, Urban Outfitters and ASOS

Quite a few looks with sheer details were sent down the runways of fashion month. Although this popular trend was shown in extreme forms on the runways, this summer many people rocked sheer details, proving that it is wearable for every day. Before the cold weather officially arrives, sheer details can perfectly spice up (pun intended) your fall outfits. To cover up a bit without taking away from the overall look, you can add everything from bralettes to bodysuits underneath sheer tops. Without a doubt, the decision to dress this look up for holiday parties or down for class is totally yours, and totally possible.

Head to Toe Pink
As seen on the runways of Fenty X Puma, Balenciaga and Valentino
Look for Less: Zara, Nasty Gal and Topshop

Wednesdays (and all the other days of the week) are for pink. Channel your Mean Girls fabulousness or relive your Barbie Girl days with a touch of pink. Rocking one bright color from head to toe can be a difficult task, but exploring different shades and tones or delivering it in moderation can be a huge help.

Statement Tees
As seen on the runways of Hood By Air, Christian Dior and House of Holland
Look for less: Zara, Nasty Gal and Urban Outfitters

The fashion industry caught on to something we already knew: T-shirts are life. They’re easy to style, convenient, comfortable and, most importantly, cheap. However, the industry definitely missed the cheap mark by a whole bunch of dollars. Who wants to pay $300 for a T-shirt? Nevertheless, we can thank our favorite fast retailers for never running out of the T-shirts we all love so much. Revisit your old love of graphic, statement and slogan tees this fall. Slogan tees are great to show off your personality, sense of humor and also to make a statement. Let your outfit do the talking, right?

These trends were shown for the spring/summer 2017 season, but no one says you have to wait to try them out! Following trends is more fun when the price is right. This way, you get to try them out in as many ways as possible, and figure out what does and does not work for you.

All images courtesy of Vogue.com

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.