The 2016 Presidential Candidates (So Far)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

As American citizens, it is important to be civically engaged with the society that we live in. We have a say in who leads our country. Let’s take advantage of it by voting in the upcoming presidential election. There are a lot of candidates for the 2016 presidential run so Her Campus Drexel has outlined the basics for each candidate’s campaign.

Republicans:

Jeb Bush

Age: 62Birthplace: Midland, TexasKnown for: Jeb Bush is known as the governor of Florida from 1999-2007. He is the son of former President George H. W. Bush and the younger brother of former President George W. Bush.What he’s for: Bush is pro-life and promotes Common Core education, capital punishment, immigration reform, education reform, the Stand Your Ground bill, vaccination, and welfare reform.What he’s against: He does not stand for marriage equality, the use of medical marijuana, public funds for stem cell research, or abortion. 

Ted Cruz

Age: 44Birthplace: Calgary, CanadaKnown for: He is the first Hispanic/Cuban American to be senator of Texas. However, there are questions over his eligibility for president because of his birthplace.What he’s for: Ted Cruz is pro-life and is for the death penalty, gun rights and traditional marriage.What he’s against: Cruz is against Internet regulation, abortion, the legalization of marijuana, same sex marriage (he believes it should be up to the states), Common Core education, ObamaCare, and gay pride parades 

Rand Paul 

Age: 52Birthplace: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  Known for: Rand Paul was a physician in Kentucky. He is the son of Dr. Ron Paul, a physician and politician. He supports the Tea-party movement and has commented on the Baltimore riot. There has been news surrounding his son’s recent DUI citation. Paul is also known for a strong social media presence.What he’s for: Rand Paul is pro-life and is in favor of tax reductions, traditional marriage, the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes, and gun rights.What he’s against: He is against same-sex marriage, gun control, and the requirement of vaccinations for children. 

Marco Rubio

Age: 43Birthplace: Miami, Florida  Known for: Marco Rubio is known for being the junior senator of Florida. He is one of three Latinos in the Senate and is the son of Cuban immigrants.What he’s for: Rubio supports social security reform and he is pro-life.What he’s against: He stands in opposition of same-sex marriage, the legalization of marijuana, attributing climate change to the fault of man, gun control, and amnesty. 

Ben Carson 

Age: 63Birthplace: Detroit, Michigan  Known for: Ben Carson is the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins at the head. He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. But, he has made controversial comments on social issues and has no prior political or military experience.What he’s for: He believes in flat tax and gun regulation (although he supports the Second Amendment).What he’s against: He is against same-sex marriage and the legalization of recreational marijuana. 

Scott Walker 

Age: 47Birthplace: Colorado Springs, ColoradoKnown for: Scott Walker is known as the governor of Wisconsin and will be running as a conservative.What he’s for: He is pro-life and is for traditional marriage, gun rights, and military expansion.What he’s against: He opposes same-sex marriage, the legalization of marijuana, amnesty, the raising of minimum wage, and Obamacare.

Carly Fiorina 

Age: 60Birthplace: Austin, TexasKnown for: Carly Fiorina is most notably a breast cancer survivor. She is also the first woman to head a Fortune 20 company, but was forced to resign at Hewlett-Packard due to many job losses. She is also a law school dropout.What she’s for: Fiorina is pro-life. She stands for gun rights, immigration reform, and traditional marriage.What she’s against: She stands against a raise of minimum wage, birth control, the Paycheck Fairness Act (which makes it easier for women to challenge wage discrimination,), tax cuts, gun regulation, and Obamacare.

Mike Huckabee 

Age: 59Birthplace: Hope, ArizonaKnown for: Mike Huckabee is the governor of Arkansas. He also hosted a talk show called Huckabee. This is his second time running for president, and he is a minister.What he’s for: Huckabee is pro-life and is for gun rights and traditional marriage.What he’s against: He opposes Obamacare, same-sex marriage, gay adoption, and gun control.

Democrats:

Bernie Sanders

Age: 73Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York  Known for: Bernie Sanders is the junior senator from Vermont. He considers himself a “democratic socialist.” He is known for his social security reform and for being an advocate for LGBT rights. He is also well known for his Scandinavian-influence.What he’s for: He believes in rights for the LGBT community, including same-sex marriage. He is pro-choice and wants to see the legalization of medical marijuana, increased taxes for citizens who make $1 billion per year, and free college tuition for public universities.What he’s against: He opposes the death penalty, banning abortion, and high tuition for college-level education.   

Hillary Clinton 

Age: 67Birthplace: Chicago, IllinoisKnown for: Hillary Clinton will be running for president for the second time. She is the wife of former president Bill Clinton. She is also the former Secretary of State under the Obama administration.What she’s for: Clinton is pro-choice and advocates for stem cell research, bankruptcy reform, equal pay, same sex marriage, the death penalty, prison reform, the legalization of medical marijuana, and stricter gun laws.What she’s against: She does not agree with tax increases for the middle class, banning abortion, banning stem cell research, or Common Core education.

There are your candidates for the 2016 Presidential Campaign so far! Yes, there’s a lot of viable candidates, but hopefully we’ve made it easier to identify each person’s campaign. In 2016 we hope you have a voice and make a choice!

Simone Wiley is a freshman majoring in fashion design.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.