15 Spring Holidays Worth Celebrating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Spring term is great for walking to class in nice weather, stuffing those bulky layers in the back of your closet, and mixing it up with your look for a fresh start *insert cliché instagram here*. There are actually tons of reasons why Spring Term is amazing! But one of the ways they aren’t amazing is that we only have one holiday, one lonely Monday, in a 10-week term. In order to spread the holiday cheer from now until Memorial Day, we’ve come up with some other not-so-official holidays to celebrate around campus that are sure to brighten your spring days even more.

1. National Beer Day – April 7 (Also National No Housework Day – April 7) It might just be a coincidence that National Beer Day falls on National No Housework Day, but now you have double the reason to celebrate! Take some time this evening to enjoy your favorite beer, whether it be a lager, IPA, or the classic fallback, PBR.

2. National Pet Day – April 11 Living on campus away from your family pet is a hard thing to do. If your pet isn’t secretly hidden in your dorm with you, ask your parents for some quality FaceTime with your furry best friend to thank them for being so amazing.

3. National Grilled Cheese Day – April 12 There’s nothing more satisfying than a crispy yet gooey grilled cheese, especially when accompanied with some steaming hot tomato soup. Use this holiday to venture out of the normal cheddar to try some more adventurous types, like Landmark’s Grown Up Grilled Cheese or the ones offered at the Say Cheese food truck.

4. National High Five Day – April 16 What’s less awkward than a hug but better than a wave? A high five, of course! Share a congratulatory slapping of hands with all your closest friends and strangers! If you’ve always wanted to high-five random people on the street you now have the perfect excuse!

5. National Picnic Day – April 23 Pack your lunch and head outside to celebrate the spring weather and food you can eat with your hands! If you’re up by the freshman dorms, grab a blanket or towel and something to eat from Northside or Jimmy John’s, then head on over to Drexel Park to enjoy a beautiful view of the city.

6. Eat What You Want Day – May 11 If you’ve been trying to eat as healthy as possible, this is the day to forget all of that and gorge on delicious carbs and sweets. It’s a holiday, which means calories don’t count.

7. National Dance Like a Chicken Day – May 14 “I don’t want to be a chicken I don’t want to be a duck so I’ll shake my butt dun dun dun dun” Good luck getting that song out of your head today.

8. National Chocolate Chip Day – May 15 It’s time to honor those scrumptious bits that liven up regular cookie dough, chocolate chips. Sprinkle some on your froyo or whip up a batch of choco-chip cookies for the dorm, either way these small chocolate pieces needs to make it into your stomach today

9. World Turtle Day – May 23 No this is not a push for DZ’s beloved mascot, there’s actually a World Turtle Day! Whether you walk a little slower or curl up in a shell, do it in honor of the turtle. And don’t forget to break out your best Australian accent in honor of Crush and Squirt

10. National Hamburger Day – May 28 There are so many places on campus to get a burger that you really have no excuse not to celebrate this holiday. Landmark, Bobby’s Burger Palace, Axis, Shake Shack, the list goes on! So get going and make plans to bite down on a burger.

11. Leave the Office Earlier Day* – June 2 No one can say for sure if this will actually be celebrated in your office but if you have a good relationship with your boss, why not bring it up? It was created by a popular efficiency expert who saw that letting people leave a bit earlier would increase their efficiency, getting more done in less time.

*Supervisor Approval Required

12. Best Friends Day – June 8 Instead of posting a “X Reasons you love your BFF” article on their Facebook wall, arrange some time to actually hang out today, over the phone or in person. Best friends are the ones who keep us sane during college so make sure they know how much you appreciate their friendship.

13. Iced Tea Day – June 10 Whether you’re from the south or are trying to avoid soda this year, iced tea is a staple beverage. Make it yourself or order the venti from Starbucks to celebrate this holiday in a refreshing style.

14. Peanut Butter Cookie Day – June 12 Peanut butter cookies are one of the few desserts any college girl can make without buying a million ingredients from Trader Joes. They are rich, tasty, and super easy to make. Stick the classic Hershey Kiss on top for a lovely snack to keep you powering through that last final.

15. Pink Day – June 23 If you couldn’t tell by now, we at Her Campus LOVE pink. It’s a wonderfully bright and fun color that catches the eye of any passerby. This color isn’t just for females, and guys should take this opportunity to bust out their favorite pink tee! Whether you’re supporting Breast Cancer, non-discriminatory colors, or a new Victoria Secret bra, wear your pink proudly!

So yes we’ll still have Cinco de Mayo and Memorial Day to look forward to but a term with two holidays just sucks. Hopefully these fun holidays bring some excitement to your lives and your stomach. Happy Holidays and Happy Eating! 

Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.