14 Things To Do on a Lazy Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s Sunday morning and you’re waking up in the middle of one of the greatest cities, in my opinion, Philadelphia. Most people waste away their days in bed, but don’t be one of them! Use this guide to prevent those lazy Sundays and explore the hidden wonders of our fantastic city!

1. Magic Gardens

Take a trip down to the Magic Gardens on South Street, one of my favorite places in Philly, to view the amazing creativity of artist Isaiah Zagar. Make sure you look around for the hidden quotes and sayings around the walls. 

2. Kelly Drive/Boathouse Row

Take a walk over Spring Garden Street Bridge and head down to Kelly Drive for a casual stroll in the sun. Walk by Bachelors Barge Club, home of your Drexel Dragons, the oldest boathouse in the country! Even take a seat along the shore and watch some boats go by mid-race. If walking is not your thing, then rent a bike with a few of your friends for some added adventure.

3. Schuylkill Banks Boardwalk

Philadelphia’s newest boardwalk has a lot to offer! From dog parks to greenways, there is plenty to do. If you don’t have a dog, I personally like running along the boardwalk for a great view and great people watching!

4. Independence Hall/Liberty Bell

There’s no better place to learn about the history of this wonderful country than by visiting Independence Hall! Take a picture with the famous Liberty Bell and become a part of history as you walk through the halls reading about the Founding Fathers and the founding of the United States.

5. Eastern State Penitentiary

It doesn’t need to be Halloween to visit this creepily haunting building. Take a tour during the day and see how the prisoners lived back in the day, maybe you’ll see a ghost if you’re lucky!

6. Reading Terminal Market

Reading Terminal Market is the place to go whenever you’re in need of some cannoli, fresh veggies, or even just a good spot to people watch. Constantly packed with people, Reading Terminal is the place to go for lots of variety in food and people. If you like dessert, make sure you stop by Termini Brothers and pick up some cannoli!

7. Philadelphia Zoo

We all have seen that classic picture with the giraffes and we all think “wow that’s so basic,” but let’s be real who can resist those tall, gangly creatures. The zoo has a lot more to offer than just giraffes. Most people leave with an elaborate face painting, generally a tiger or zebra. Or take a ride up in the zoo balloon to see the entire city and more from above. Go while it’s still the offseason and you’ll get a discount off regular ticket prices. 

8. Penn’s Landing-First Fridays

Old City is one of the cutest parts of town, with plenty of restaurants and activities for all. The Blue Cross River Rink is open for the most part of the winter, so be sure to tie up your skates and try not to fall. The Penn’s Landing area also has a great old fashioned ice cream shop called Franklin Fountain, which is delicious any time of the year. 

9. Art Museum/Rocky Steps, Please Touch Museum, Franklin Institute

The best part about living in a city, any city to be honest, is all the culture and knowledge you can receive on a daily basis. Philadelphia has some great museums with plenty of history. First up, is the Philadelphia Museum of Art, also home to the famous “Rocky” Steps. Make sure you check out the website for dates as to when entry is “pay what you can.” Second, the Please Touch Museum is the best place for you to release your inner child. There’s always fun activities and exhibits to explore. And lastly, the Franklin Institute, one of my personal favorites. Every time I go I make sure to walk through the magnified heart and bike across the top level of the museum! There are so many different museums, but these are just a few.

10. Love Park

Now I’m sure you’re thinking that you can’t take a trip to Love Park without a significant other, but there’s no restriction on Love Park. Don’t forget to take that clichéd picture of the sign with the fountain in the back, or even people watch others being super “basic.”

11. Sports —Wells Fargo Center, Lincoln Financial Field, Citizens Bank Park

Philly is a huge sports city. We’ve got the Eagles, the Phillies, the Flyers, and so many more. Be sure to check out events in the area to see if you can snag some tickets to a concert or sporting event.

12. Rittenhouse Square

Checkout another one of Philly’s original parks for some great shopping and coffee shops. I personally enjoy Rittenhouse Square during the day to take a step back from the stress of the world by sitting on one of their many benches. With plenty of fresh air and activity, I recommend Rittenhouse Square for a perfect “treat-yo-self” day!

13. Franklin Square

As another one of Philly’s original squares, Franklin Square offers historical and fun aspects to represent the best parts of the City of Brotherly Love. Check out the Philly Mini Golf, which showcases some of the places on this very list!

14. Dilworth Park

The newest park in Philly is great! Currently hosting a popular ice skating rink, the park is lit up with lights and filled with plenty of people at all times. Once the cold goes away though be sure to check out the fountain that will replace the rink for another great place to sit outside and people watch!

There you have it, 14 amazing things to do besides watch Netflix all day! If you have a favorite place in Philly that didn’t make the list, let us know! We’re always up for new adventures!

Sophomore at Drexel University, majoring in International Area Studies.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.