freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Get Over a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Breakups are tough for everyone. Even if the breakup was mutual, it still leaves you upset in some way, regardless if you were in a long committed relationship, or you just got ghosted, breakups are difficult to deal with. Here is a list of ten different ways to get over a breakup, whether you’re the dumper or dumpee. This list covers everything from eating habits, to new hobbies and even life-style adjustments!

1. Listen to your favorite music

Just got dumped? Blast “Lemonade” by Beyoncé on repeat. Her fun and soulful music will have you up and dancing in no time. Her song “Sorry” will have you forgetting all about the boy who broke your heart. Not a Beyoncé fan? Turn on anything that will make you get up and dance. Maybe you like rap or even country music. Music will heal all wounds

2. Indulge in comfort food

Most people picture girls after break ups stuff their face with multiple pints of Ben and Jerry’s watching Netflix on the couch. What’s wrong with that? Take a few days or even weeks to eat whatever you want because no one can tell you otherwise. Binge that series on Netflix that you never had time for.

​​3. Adjust your priorities

While it is entirely reasonable and understandable to be heartbroken after a breakup, there is a plus side to being single again. You can now channel all your energy into what matters to you now that you don’t have a significant other to worry about. Maybe you want to make Dean’s list this quarter, or have more movie nights with your friends, or even call your parents more often. You can do all of this because you now have all the time in the world to dedicate yourself to what matters to you.

4. 30-day no contact challenge

Hint, this challenge does not include physical exercise but it will exercise will -power. The thirty- day challenge is when you cut off all contact with the person you’re not dating anymore. This means no texting, Snapchat, talking in IRL, Facebook stalking ect. If you do any of these in the 30 days, you have to start all over again. Going along with the 30 day challenge, try blocking, unfollowing, and unfriending you ex so you do not have the temptation of stalking. The challenge is easier said than done, but it will make it easier for you to move on if you aren’t always seeing them on your newsfeed.

​5. Get that revenge bod

In the words of Khloe Kardashian, “The best form of revenge is a good body.” Use this to motivate you every time you go to the gym and remember that all progress is good progress. Show your ex what they missed out on and build yourself a healthy and fit body.

6. “There’s plenty of fish in the sea”

This has to be one of the most common sayings everyone says to someone going through a breakup. But there is always validity in clichés. There are just over 3 million men in the world, so losing one guy isn’t the end of the world. You have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince.

7. Redecorate

One of the best ways to clear your mind is to clean and redecorate the space around you. Paint your room, finally clean out those old clothes you never wear. Doing this will leave you feeling productive and refreshed and forgetting your ex.

8. Write your ex a letter

Writing a letter to your ex can be very cathartic post – breakup especially if there were a lot of things unsaid or you felt like you weren’t able to express yourself before they left. This letter gives you the perfect opportunity to say everything that needs to be said. Then, it is ultimately your choice if you want to send it to them or not.

9. Find a hobby

Keeping yourself busy is always a good distraction. Maybe you have always wanted to try cross-country skiing or join a book club. Do something that you would have never done before you broke up. You will be surprised with what you will end up loving.

10. Pamper yourself

At the end of the day, breakups are physically and emotionally draining so make sure you take care of yourself. Lush sells great bath bombs in all different varieties or maybe get your nails done. Take care of yourself and have “me nights” more often. Do whatever helps you relax and reduces your stress.

The abrupt ending of a relationship can leave you feeling upset, hurt, vulnerable, and most of all heartbroken. It’s crucial that you remember the pain and heart ache is only temporary. It is okay to be upset, just don’t let it stop you from living your life and achieving your goals.​

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.