10 Facts About the Newlywed Duke and Duchess of Sussex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Image Courtesy of Hello!

May 19, 2018 is a historical date – Prince Harry married American actress, Meghan Markle. The wedding took place at Windsor Castle and was absolutely wonderful. Even though this beautiful event is behind us, there is still so much to look forward to regarding the new royal couple! Here are some fresh facts about them that you might have missed.

1. As a wedding gift, Prince Harry gave Meghan a beautiful aquamarine ring from his mother, Princess Diana’s, jewelry collection. Meghan wore it during the evening reception of their wedding. 

Image Courtesy of Town & Country

2. The designer of Meghan’s wedding dress, Clare Waight Keller, who is the artistic director of Givenchy, was honored to be a part of this historical event. She gave Meghan the final sketches of the gorgeous gown to keep. 

Image Courtesy of Kensington Palace

3. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made their first appearance as husband and wife on May 22 – just three days after their wedding! They participated in a garden party celebrating Prince Charles’ 70th birthday.

Image Courtesy of ABC News

4. They have just returned home from their honeymoon, the location of which is still kept as a secret.

Image Courtesy of Hello!

5. Prince Harry attended the gala dinner of a charity called OnSites Youth Zone right after his return from the honeymoon, where he also gave a speech. 

Image Courtesy of Mark Davies 

6. Meghan and Harry will make their first Buckingham Palace balcony appearance on Saturday. It will be their first appearance as a couple after their honeymoon. They will participate in the Trooping the Colour event commemorating the Queen’s birthday and watch the military parade from the famous balcony.

7. On June 14, Meghan Markle is going to board the Royal Train together with Queen Elizabeth to travel to Cheshire for a day. This is an unusual event because normally only senior members of the Royal Family are allowed on the train. Even the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry himself haven’t boarded the Royal Train for a public event! 

Image Courtesy of Town & Country

8. On June 19, Meghan Markle will attend the Royal Ascot for the first time together with her husband, Prince Harry. The Royal Ascot is Britain’s most prestigious horse-racing competition. This event is known as one where royals and celebrities show off impressive outfits. We can’t wait to see what the gorgeous Duchess of Sussex will be wearing! 

9. Meghan Markle is now going to have six-month long lessons on how to be a duchess. She will be educated by the Queen’s former assistant, private secretary, Samantha Cohen and the learning will include traveling the UK and meeting various charities.  

10. Some sources report that the couple have signed a two-year lease for a weekend home in the Great Tew Estate in Cotswolds, which is about 90 miles from London. If this is true, Victoria and David Beckham are going to be their neighbors.

Image Courtesy of Great Tew Estate

Stow away all these fun facts about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex because you never know when you’ll get hit with some Royal Family trivia!

Alise is the President of the Her Campus at Drexel chapter. She is a senior studying Entertainment & Arts Management and hopes to work in the management of cultural organizations in the future. She is an international student from Latvia and loves traveling, photography, and dogs.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.