Woody Allen’s Magic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Christmastime snowflakes are the only type of snowflakes I like. It’s not Christmas, but I am observing the melting of the snowflakes as soon as they land on the surface of my window. I wonder, why I see them as beautiful only when they are far away from me.

I’m wrapped up in a blanket and my thoughts are both everywhere and nowhere. They stop on a conversation I had with my best friend about a couple of Woody Allen’s movies. I decide to start my day with one of them: Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Vicky Christina Barcelona is not a movie for everyone. It kept me thinking about the nature of love and whether too much love is doomed to turn into violence, at some point. I contemplated on how people handle love and whether we are capable of preserving its beauty and purity or do we always ruin it more or less. I thought about the balance of relationships and how everything is about establishing that desired equilibrium and keeping it. Sometimes, there is a missing puzzle piece that can solve the whole puzzle, but it almost always seems hard to find. All I can say is that it’s a must watch, if you want to see love from a different perspective.

“We are meant for each other and not meant for each other. It’s a contradiction.”

“Only unfulfilled love can be romantic.”

I admire Woody Allen and the way his mind functions. I am fascinated by his movies, which force me to think. I believe a form of art is worth spending time on only if it makes you question something or everything.

Café Society is also about love, but a different aspect of it. It’s a movie about the choices we make and how powerful they are, because they have the power to haunt us our whole lives. The movie, depicts love in a very realistic light and shows a simple story with an open ending that makes it unique. The way you continue the story and create your own ending can say a lot about whether you are a hopeless romantic or more of a realist.

“Live every day like it’s your last. And someday you will be right.”

“I guess some feelings never die. Is that good or bad?”

“Unrequited love kills more people in one year than tuberculosis.”

Hi! I'm Ana-Elena and I'm a student at Dickinson College. I'm an Economics and Art History double major and international student from Bulgaria.