Why I didn’t Join a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

I was never one for sisterhood. I often thought of the stereotypes that came with it and never felt like that suited me. I wanted to meet new people but was intimidated by the rushing process and the aspects that come with a sorority. So joining one did not feel okay with me.

Last year, I decided I was not going to join any greek life, not even considering it after my friends had pledged Delta Nu. I just did not want to be associated with it all and hoped that I would find my way through college without thinking about it. However, after seeing my friends go through the pledging process for Alpha Phi Omega.

Alpha Phi Omega, the nation’s co-ed community service fraternity, was calling to me after watching my friends get all the benefits of a sorority without committing to the sisterhood, with the added bonus of being able to do community service for the people of Carlisle.

This semester I wrote my name down for the email list and quickly got my requirements done to rush APO. In my experience as a pledge, I have been able to say that I have been able to reach out to the community I live in and being able to get off campus and do something good. In the midst of it all, I have meet a great group of people that I really meld with. I am able to reach out to them and feel like I finally have a community on campus.

I feel like overall, my choice to not join a sorority has left me with more options. I am not committed to a sorority, so I can explore in my fraternity. I will soon be ending my pledging process this semester and be able to finally say that I will be a brother of Alpha Phi Omega.

Julia Mercado

Dickinson '20

Julia is an English major who just loves to write. You can normally find her looking for the next Netflix original to watch... or coming up with her own script ideas. With Her Campus, she hopes to reach out to other college women like her!