This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

What does it mean to be an English major? The answer is different for everyone and the question isn’t exclusive to English majors. Anyone can answer the question, and everyone has some kind of opinion on it.

This past summer, while I was hammered with questions about where I was heading to college and what I wanted to major in, I learned a lot about preconceived notions people have about the English major. As I told people that English was my intended major I received varying responses.

The first type of response was the most positive. This response came from individuals who reacted excitedly when they heard I wanted to major in English and were even more thrilled to hear I wanted to be an author. They believed in me probably more than I believed in myself, and were extremely encouraging. They told me they can’t wait to see what I would write and were sure that I will one day achieve great success. In truth, it could be overwhelming, but typically it rejuvenated a sort of self-reassurance I had in my aspirations.

The second type of response I got was the assumption that I wanted to be a teacher. Apparently for many people, the English major is for those pursuing a career as an educator in English. I can understand this assumption. I don’t know too many people with English degrees, and most of the people I do know with the degree are past teachers of mine. However, the degree is much more versatile than that (or at least I like to think so). There is a great value in being able to communicate with another successfully. It’s necessary for nearly every job. The degree also helps an individual develop strong writing skills, which can also be important in the job market. For me, I’m hoping to hone in on my writing skills, and become not only an author but a manuscript editor as well. So while English for me currently has no ties to an occupation in teaching, I find it interesting that many assume that it does.

The third response I received was the most discouraging. It’s the one where the person I’m speaking to suddenly gets that shocked, disappointed look on their face. It’s clear that they think the degree is useless, and when I tell them I want to be an author they would get even more dismayed. Again, I understand this response. The chances of becoming an author, let alone a successful one, are not good. It’s tough, and maybe it’ll never happen for me. Maybe I’ll never even get published. Currently, that’s a risk I’m going to have to take, because if I don’t pursue writing, then all my ideas are just going to waste away and die, and in doing that, I’m killing a part of myself. I also found it interesting that those who had this type of response to my career choice were much more hopeful when they head that I want to be an editor as well.

Perhaps this is something other English majors have gone through. Or maybe it’s something everyone heading off to college goes through. Either way, I was struck by how everyone had their ideas about what it meant to go into the major I’m looking at and how, for some, it allowed them to predetermine my success.

I'm a first year in college at Dickinson.
Julia Mercado

Dickinson '20

Julia is an English major who just loves to write. You can normally find her looking for the next Netflix original to watch... or coming up with her own script ideas. With Her Campus, she hopes to reach out to other college women like her!