This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

I recently embarked on a five city, four-country trip around Europe by myself. Here are a few things I learned about myself and traveling along the way. 

Eating alone

While it can be intimidating to walk into a restaurant and say “Table for one,” I’ve found that eating by myself can actually be enjoyable. Once you get over the initial awkwardness, eating alone can be great. You can eat at your own pace, and there’s no one to judge you if you get cheese fries and a milkshake. During meals, I made sure to put my phone down and just sit and enjoy the environment around me. 

Trust your gut

One daunting aspect of traveling alone is making sure you and your belongings are safe. While I was in Madrid, I had my wallet stolen. I was able to get it back, but I should have trusted my gut when I felt someone walking too close to me. I felt a suspicion but brushed it off. If something feels sketchy, it probably is. 

It can get lonely

This one surprised me. Traveling by yourself can get lonely. You eat alone, you sleep alone, and you do activities alone. Sometimes a person just needs some conversation beyond placing an order at a restaurant. That’s why I was so excited to meet up with friends in some of the cities. While solo travel is great for discovering new things about yourself, it’s also nice to have people to share those incredible moments with.  

Don’t be afraid to speak up

If you need something on your trip, your only advocate is yourself. Don’t be afraid to speak up and ask for what you need. Even if it’s something simple, like asking someone to take your photograph, do it. Most of the time, people are happy to stop and do so. 

Do what you want

While traveling did get lonely at times, one of the best things about solo travel is that your time is your own. I was able to do everything I wanted on my own schedule. I didn’t have to do anything for someone else and it was nice.

After this trip, I would highly recommend everyone go on a solo trip at least once in their lives. Whether it’s through multiple countries or within your own state, it’s a great opportunity that can teach you a lot about yourself and your capabilities. I had an amazing trip, and it’s one I will always appreciate.  

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.