Career

Tips for Conducting Your Job Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again when students are busy applying to jobs and internships. For me, I’m focused on looking for a job after I graduate (eek!). For those in a similar boat, here are some tips that you can use while you look for jobs. 

Stay Organized

When you’re applying to jobs, there is a lot of information you have to provide, from a résumé to cover letters, etc. There’s also a lot of information the company will provide, like what’s expected of the position or references they may need. To stay organized, I like to have a spreadsheet. In my spreadsheet, I list the company name, the position I’m applying for, the responsibilities of the position, and more. This way, I have all of my information in one place and I don’t get confused as the number of jobs I apply to starts increasing. 

Check Your Email

Most often potential employers will contact you via the email you’ve provided. However, it often comes from an email that is unrecognizable to your account, so make sure to check your spam folder. You wouldn’t want to miss a job or internship opportunity because your email thought it was junk. 

Proofread, proofread, proofread

I cannot stress this tip enough. It’s so important to proofread! You’ll be writing so many different cover letters and versions of résumés that sometimes your eyes can gloss over mistakes. The worst thing is having a typo when you’re trying to convey a professional tone.

Stay Positive

Looking for a job can be tiring and often disheartening. Getting rejected is never a good feeling, but you just have to try and stay positive! The right job is out there for you and you just have to stay patient and know that eventually you will get hired!

Good luck with your job search!

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Anonymous at Dickinson