This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Are you a sophomore getting ready to go abroad in the fall? Or maybe a junior who is applying for the spring? 

Yeah. Me too. And just like you, I’m completely and utterly stressed. In order to alleviate not just your stress but my own, here’s a list of tips and tricks to help you along with your application process.  

Map it out

Before you even begin an application, you should check out the study abroad programs at your school and other schools. Most colleges and universities have their own study abroad programs but also partner programs that you can apply to. Find ones that interest you and learn more about the different opportunities available. 

Narrow them down

Once you have a few programs in mind you should narrow them down. To narrow them down you should keep in mind cost, major, and graduation requirements. If you are still struggling, try meeting with your academic advisor or someone from your study abroad office. 

Make a timeline If you’re like me, it’s easy to procrastinate. Making a timeline for applications is the best way to go. Write down when applications open, when you should be having meetings with advisors, when you should be working on questions, the due date and the date you should hear back by. You don’t want to miss a deadline!

Outline

When you’re writing your application essays it’s helpful to outline your essay. As an English major, I know the extent to which an outline can really help you out. Break down your questions by what you wish to get answered and then go about it. This will make it easier as you write. 

Editing

Just as you would edit your final paper, you need to edit and revise your answers to the applications. Simply forcing yourself to read your essay(s) out loud to a roommate, family member or friend can help you notice a lot of tiny mistakes in your writing. I personally recommend doing this several times so that you don’t miss anything. 

Meeting Before you submit your essays, it’s a great time to meet with an advisor to make sure you’ve properly checked all of the boxes. Not only does this show to them that you care about the state of your application but they can also help you fine tune your understanding of your application. 

Submit

Personally, I recommend submitting a day in advance, but if you’re not as much of a worrywart as me, then make sure you submit your application on time. Make sure every component of your application is in, from the essays to your transcript. 

Keep on your toes After submitting your application, you’re still not done. Many schools expect you to take mandatory classes or attend meetings in order to explain what they will be expecting of you. Be aware if your school expects this by simply checking the website of your school or asking an advisor what they know. 

Stay Updated

Make sure you keep updated! You should know when you are expected to get news of whether you got in or not and make sure to be updated about it. 

Of course, I’m in the same boat as you are and I still have a long way to go. After you (hopefully) get accepted, there’s plenty more to do, but it’ll all be worth it in the end. Good luck with your applications!!

Skylar Devitt

Dickinson '21

Dickinson College Class of 2021 Kappa Alpha Theta Dickinson Club Soccer Exec Board Dickinson Tritons Campus Ambassadors Exec Board Dickinson English Majors Committee
Anonymous at Dickinson