SLCE Hosts Vice Presidential Debate Watch Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Editor’s note: HC Dickinson does not support one particular candidate. All perceivable opinions are those of the author and the students quoted in the article.

To most Americans, the names Mike Pence and Tim Kaine don’t mean much. Unlike some former vice presidential candidates, our current choices for VEEP have been overshadowed by the main nominees. Nonetheless, both are experienced and skilled politicians, each with a shot of being our nation’s second in command. Mike Pence, Trump’s running mate, has spent years in the public eye, and currently serves as the governor of Indiana. Democrat Tim Kaine is a senator from Virginia. This week, they met at Longwood University for the first and only Vice Presidential Debate, in an event moderated by Elaine Quijano of CBS. Student Leadership & Campus Engagement (SLCE) encouraged Dickinson students to understand and discuss these men by sponsoring a debate watch party on Tuesday night at Anita Tuvin Schlechter Auditorium (ATS).

The debate covered the typical topics, including military spending, abortion and policing. Each man comfortably held his own during the debate, though both were frequently on the offensive, bringing up each other’s past scandals. Both candidates made a worthy showing and pundits argued over who exactly won the debate.

Students also had a chance to share their thoughts on the competitors. Though less crowded than the presidential debate last week, the excitement pulsed through ATS. Dickinson community members clapped, laughed and hollered at notable moments. Loud cheers followed Kaine’s passionate defense of a woman’s right to choose and more came after Pence’s stirring defense of American values. All sides of the political spectrum were represented and enthusiastic. This diversity created engaging dialogue afterwards, as students reflected on the two candidates.

“Tim Kaine and Mike Pence were both on offense the entire night because this is turning out to be a close election,” speculated Patrick Moore ’20. Other students relayed their feelings about the debate: “I felt both candidates got lost in the little details, petty disputes over emails or bankruptcies, and that they lost focus on their running mate’s overall vision or lack of vision for the country,” expressed Nick Feck ’20.  There is a strong chance neither of these men will ever be president, but, as a first year laughed while walking out of the debate, “that’s what they thought about Roosevelt, then McKinley was assassinated.”

With a month left until the election, students still have time to decide whether they want to “make America great again” or “be stronger together.” SLCE will be hosting more debate watches and discussions, including one on Wednesday, October 19. All community members should be sure to register as soon as possible: the deadline is on October 12. Until then, students can register at tables at the Holland Union Building (HUB). Regardless of which candidate you back, it is important to stay politically informed and to get out and vote.

Images: 1, 2