This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Over winter break, I came across the TV show Schitt’s Creek on Netflix. Just a few episodes in and I quickly realized I had been missing out on a hilarious comedy. Schitt’s Creek features the once wealthy Rose family, who have now lost everything. As a result, the Roses must move to the town of Schitt’s Creek, which Johnny once bought as a joke present for his son David. Rounding out the family are Moira (the mother) and Alexis (the daughter). Once in Schitt’s Creek, the Roses have to adjust to a life that is far from their usual comforts, including sharing adjoining rooms in a motel, getting jobs for the first time, and being forced to walk everywhere. 

The show was created by and stars real life father-son duo, Eugene and Daniel Levy. The show initially aired in Canada but was made available to US audiences thanks to Netflix and Pop TV. The show has been receiving more attention in the US now after being the first Canadian comedy to be nominated at the Critics’ Choice Television Awards this year. While the show didn’t win, the nomination helped catapult the series to the attention of audiences in the US.

Schitt’s Creek drew me in with its’ well-written dialogue and attention to detail. From the clothes that help set the tone for each character to the snappy one-liners to the strong comedic partnership between Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek is hilarious. My favorite character is Alexis, played by Annie Murphy. While Murphy’s character initially starts off as an aloof and self-absorbed person, her growth over the first four seasons shows how a person can change for the better. Plus, her infamous line “Ew, David!” is my favorite. 

So the next time you’re looking for a new series to watch, I highly recommend Schitt’s Creek! You can catch up on the first four seasons on Netflix. Meanwhile, Season 5 airs every Wednesday night at 10pm on Pop TV. 

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Anonymous at Dickinson