The Rocky Horror Picture Show: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

For the past two years that I have been at Dickinson, I have continued to throw aside the opportunity to go to the interactive showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show that the Carlisle theater offers every Halloween. This past Saturday night at precisely 11:30pm I decided I had enough of subpar parties packed to the brim with college students. I decided I was going to experience the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. And I did.

Now, allow me to start by saying that while I have never been to a screening of Rocky Horror, I do know the movie itself and have seen it a number of times. I know (almost) all the lyrics to the songs, and am familiar with the plot (although every time I continue to be surprised by its utter ridiculousness). That being said, I wouldn’t call myself a die-hard fan.

Clutching my fourteen dollars, (nine for the ticket and another five for the prop bag) and dragging a few friends along for the ride, I made my way down high-street at 11:45. The things you see on High St. at that time of night are entertaining to say the least. When we approach the theater, there is a frenzy of activity outside. People were dressed in all sorts of costumes of characters from the movie. Somewhat overwhelmed by my surrounding, I barely remember handing the woman at the ticket stand my 9 dollars. In the lobby, we purchased our prop bags, and a box of delicious popcorn, and made our way towards the entrance to the theater. A woman who works at the theater handed my friend (who was dressed as rocky) a card to enter the costume contest that they were holding before the show.

We made our way inside the theater and much to my dismay, my friends dragged me towards the front row. Now, those of you who know me know that I am a shy person. I don’t particularly enjoy being front and center. I have a problem being front and center. I prefer to be in the back of everything, silently observing. So naturally I pleaded and pleaded with my friends to move back. And guess what happened? Absolutely nothing. We stayed front and center. Then before I knew it they are calling those with cards to get up onto the stage for the contest. I couldn’t move back now. My friend dashes up to the stage, along with a number of others clad in costumes. The crowd cheers for the costume they like best. My friend makes it pretty far along, although ultimately the contest is won by a man dressed as Dr. Frank-N-Furter himself. He was dedicated.

And so, armed with a little plastic bag full of rice I settle down and prepare for the craziness that is about to unfold before me. The lights lower, the bright red lips appear on the black screen, science fiction double feature begins to play and I know I am in for a treat.

The rest of the movie is absolutely wonderful. It is magical. The whole theater full of strangers relaxes into a fun, care and judgement free zone (except for judgement of Janet and Brad of course.) One guy to the right of me knows all the responses to shout at the screen, and does so throughout the movie. While I am not usually a fan of people who shout in movie theaters, I was cracking up the whole time. We befriend the people behind us, and one of them places toast on my head. We stand up and do the time-warp. We finally enjoy ourselves. Everyone was laughing and singing and having a blast. By the time the movie finally ends I am absolutely giddy. I am also absolutely covered. Toilet paper, confetti, rice, bits of toast. You name it- it probably can be found in my hair and in my bra. We leave the theater carefree and happily exhausted. It is undoubtedly one of the best experiences I’ve had on a Saturday night in college. You need to go. This review is in favor of the Rocky Horror Picture Show experience one hundred percent. If not in Carlisle, then in some other independent, small theater you come across. I can honestly say that it was all it was hyped up to be and more. It was fun, it was silly, it was really fricken weird, and it was exactly what I needed on a Saturday night. I plan on being there next year, eating my popcorn, throwing my toast and putting a newspaper on my head. Dig it if you can.

Isabel Figueroa

Dickinson '19

Isabel is a Senior at Dickinson College. She loves finding humor in humanity, old treasures in antique stores, and new ways to eat almond butter.