This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Since giving birth to twins, Beyoncé has been off our radar, at least until her magical and historic Coachella performance. If you’re a huge Beyoncé fan like me, you must have heard of her upcoming Netflix documentary, Homecoming, which takes a look into that extraordinary 2018 Coachella performance. With a two-minute trailer, Netflix released information that the documentary will premiere on April 17, 2019. The video pays tribute to black excellence and also features videos of her performance and the lead up to the intent that she envisioned in her work. The meaning behind the title connects to the scholarship fund launched last year for historically black colleges and universities.

So in honor of Beyoncé’s film, here are 5 reasons why I’m obsessed with her:

1. Her work ethic: Since Beyoncé could not attend the 2017 Coachella festival, she spent the end of her pregnancy and onward coming up with the ideas for her performance.
  2. Her celebration of culture: While many artists attract a certain listener, Beyoncé has managed, through her music and performances, to gather an audience of diverse backgrounds.
  3. Her secrecy: I mean, seriously, who else could drop music videos, albums, and movies without our knowledge?!
  4. Her performances: I’ve never seen Beyoncé in concert, but from the looks of them they’re nights to remember.
  5. She’s a woman doing something big: Beyoncé proves that we, as women, can be who we want to be without judgement and demonstrates the ways in which we can be outspoken, confident, and emotional.

Odessa Elmore

Dickinson '21

is a current sociology major, interested in working on policy changes in education and health.
Anonymous at Dickinson