An Ode to My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

I became a Dickinson student nine months ago, but now I’m only three weeks away from saying goodbye to my first year. I remember around this time last year being so anxious to come here. I was ready to make new friends and find a home away from home. When I first got to college I was afraid to open up and talk to people I had never met before. I was afraid I wouldn’t make any friends or enjoy my experience because Carlisle is so different from New York.

Image

It’s finally the end of the year and things have definitely turned around. I found a family in the girls on my floor; we take care of each other and are there for each other. I love having someone to talk to when I need to and anyone on my floor welcomes me with open arms. I have so many moments when I look around the room and think, “This is why I came to college.”

I have learned to live away from home and be okay with it. I love being in New York and being with my family, but it is also comforting to know that I have a place in the world elsewhere and I am not stuck in an urban bubble. I have grown here at Dickinson. I’ve learned how to take responsibility for myself and speak up when I have to.

So, I’m thankful for my first year here, it has definitely given me so many more opportunities than before. I can’t believe my freshman year is almost done, but luckily my journey at Dickinson hasn’t ended yet.

Julia Mercado

Dickinson '20

Julia is an English major who just loves to write. You can normally find her looking for the next Netflix original to watch... or coming up with her own script ideas. With Her Campus, she hopes to reach out to other college women like her!