My Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

This summer I was lucky enough to have an internship with Mikie Sherrill’s congressional campaign. She is a super impressive candidate from New Jersey’s 11th congressional district, running for Rodney Frelinghuysen’s soon-to-be vacated seat.  Sherrill is a Navy veteran, a former federal prosecutor, and a mother of four living in Montclair, NJ (those are only a few of her incredible achievements). I was drawn to her impressive background but also her emphasis on the importance of education.  As an educational studies and political science double major here at Dickinson, volunteering on her campaign this summer seemed like a great way to engage in my passions while learning about the behind the scenes of campaigning.  

I enjoyed every second of my internship.  As a field intern, I made a lot of calls to the 11th district’s constituents, and I also knocked on lots of doors in the district to talk about Mikie.  The people on the team were some of the most genuine people I’ve met, and I had the opportunity to try lots of different parts of campaigning.  I learned about the importance of voting by mail, trained some volunteers on how to canvass, and I even managed a canvassing program.  I talked to constituents and heard about their concerns in this current political climate and saw how responsive Mikie and members of her team were to their feedback.  

Unfortunately, there is only so much I can do from three hours away in Carlisle, PA, but I am so grateful for my time on the campaign.  And to everyone who wants to make a difference, the first and most important thing to do is vote.  Get your friends and family to vote.  Volunteer on Election Day.  And maybe if you’re lucky, you can find a campaign that inspires you.  I’m so glad I did.  

Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.