This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

I know what you’re thinking, “really? another article about studying abroad?” Yes, this will be another article related to my semester in Italy. I know study abroad kids get a bad rap for being relentlessly annoying about their time abroad. I am no exception to this. However, studying or living abroad is such a big life decision that it is hard not to talk about it.

I find myself missing Italy now more than ever. I left for Bologna a little over a year ago. Everyday I wake up and get  snapchat memories of my time abroad. I also have some friends studying in Bologna this semester and I have been living vicariously through their instagram stories. Lately, I have been constantly reminded of my experience and it kind of makes me sad. I miss Bologna so much that sometimes I have dreams that I am back there. I have a google flight alert on flights from New York to Bologna. If I could teleport to anywhere in the world right now I would probably choose Bologna.

I have been thinking about why I miss Bologna so much. Of course, Bologna is an amazing city full of delicious food, beautiful art, and non stop energy. It is not hard to miss a place like this. However, I did not have a perfect abroad experience. I had a great time but despite all the highs there were a lot of lows and tough moments. I am not ashamed to admit that I had a countdown clock on my phone for the day I would return to New York. However, that did not make saying goodbye to Italy any easier.  

I think the reason I miss Bologna so much is because it truly became home for me. I felt very comfortable in the city and I got used to being there. Whenever I came back from a trip, I was relieved to be back in Bologna. When I was feeling sad, a walk through the beautiful streets would comfort me. I had no issue calling Bologna home.

I have called a few places home throughout my life: Philadelphia, Long Island, Fire Island, Carlisle, and now Bologna. The thing that is different about Bologna is that I do not know when I will be able to go back. It is easy for me to go back to Long Island for a weekend or visit Philadelphia or Fire Island. Obviously, Bologna is harder to get to, in terms of both distance and finances. I know I will go back one day, but I don’t know when. It hurts having a home that you cannot return to easily.

I need to say that I am by no means complaining about my life. I will admit, this is a nice problem to have. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to live in Italy in the first place. I am grateful to my parents who made my study abroad experience possible and I am appreciative of all those who supported me along the way. Studying abroad and traveling is a luxury and I am very thankful that I had this opportunity.

As I am beginning my last semester at Dickinson College, I am once again facing the reality of saying goodbye to a place. I am trying to focus on enjoying where I am now instead of dwelling on where I once was.

Anonymous at Dickinson