Meet Dickinson’s CommServ Queen: Katy Dechert ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Katy Dechert ’19 may only be a Sophomore, but she has definitely made her mark on Dickinson. From her job in the Center for Service, Spirituality, and Social Justice to PALs, Katy has made the most of her two years at Dickinson and in the Carlisle community. HC sat down with Katy to learn what her favorite thing about being a Dickinsonian is, how she balances all of her activities, and more. 

Name: Katy Dechert

Class Year: 2019

Hometown: Oak Park, IL

Major: Sociology

Minor: Africana Studies

HC: What are you involved in at Dickinson?

KD: I work on-campus as a CommServ Student Co-Leader which is part of the Center for Service, Spirituality, and Social Justice. I’m also the Service and Philanthropy Director of Kappa Alpha Theta and a member of several organizations including the PEAC Council, the Love your Melon Committee, PALS (Peers Advocating for Learning about Sex) and the Black Student Union.

HC: How do you balance your academics with extracurriculars?

KD: I try my best to prioritize school work over extracurriculars, but it’s hard because things like club responsibilities often take priority, especially those that are time sensitive. I’m also a terrible procrastinator so I often find myself putting off large assignments for school in order to complete tasks that are related to my job or one of the clubs I’m involved in. I really want to improve at prioritizing academics over extracurriculars, but it’s difficult balancing all of it!

HC: What are your favorite and least favorite things about Dickinson?

KD: My favorite thing about Dickinson is definitely the people. I know that sounds cheesy, but ever since I was a first-year I knew that Dickinson was my place. My first year roommate had a big impact on my experience at Dickinson. I had a rough adjustment period, but we became really close over the last two years and she’s one of the people I can trust the most. Also, many of my professors have gone out of their way to check in with me and have showed me that they care about my development as a person. Both my peers and the faculty here made me feel like Dickinson is somewhere I belong, and I’m so lucky to be able to have had that opportunity.

I think my least favorite thing about Dickinson is the lack of diversity on campus. Although the number of students of color has increased in the past few years, there is still a large issue with inclusivity. Through my experiences talking to people this semester, I’ve learned that many students of color feel uncomfortable in spaces on campus because they are the only person in a classroom and feel like they have to represent their entire race. I’m continuing to realize that not everyone feels like Dickinson is a place for them based on their race. Even though I had the privilege to not think about how my skin color affects my sense of belonging, I’ve realized that Dickinson doesn’t always cater to everyone. I think diversity and inclusion are important topics that people should discuss more, both on campus and in the world.

HC: What is something most people would not know about you?

KD: I have two moms! I don’t typically tell people because it doesn’t come up in regular conversation, but it’s an important part of my identity that’s shaped who I am today. When I tell people, they are often shocked since they don’t realize I was raised by a same-sex couple. However, more gay and lesbian parents are raising children, so statistically my family situation isn’t that unique. Because of the environment I was raised in, my ideas about feminism and gay rights were constructed at a pretty young age and have strengthened as I’ve learned more about these sociopolitical topics in academic settings.

HC: Do you have plans to go abroad? 

KD: Yes! I was recently accepted into the University of Queensland program in Brisbane, Australia! I’m so excited to have the opportunity and privilege to travel halfway across the world and study in a completely different country. However, I’m a little bit scared of leaving because Dickinson is a home to me and I have no idea what to expect from a huge university.

HC: What is one thing you want to do at Dickinson before you graduate?

KD: A little thing is to befriend Rob Stone, the crossing guard who works between the academic quad and the HUB, because I think he’s amazing. Recently, I introduced myself to him and now he knows my name! I really want to turn this interaction into a friendship because Rob, in my opinion, is one of the kindest people at Dickinson and has a really interesting story to tell. Also, I think it’s so important to get to know the staff you interact every day because they’re as much a part of this community as Dickinson students.

I also really want to implement a self-defense program. I took a self-defense course in high school that centered around both empowerment and physical skills, reinforcing the idea that perpetrator is always the one at fault, not the survivor of assault. For that reason, I’m really passionate about self-defense and I think it’s an amazing skill to have. I want all students at Dickinson, and not just women, to be able to have the same opportunity I did and feel secure in themselves through self-defense. I’m collaborating with one of my friends in the martial arts club to see if we can extend the program in that direction, so I’m super excited.

HC: What is your dream job?

KD: I honestly have no idea. I’m really interested in social justice work, so I would love to go into something in that field, although I don’t quite know what it is at the moment. I admire nonprofit work, so maybe I would want to work somewhere that has a focus on the intersectionalities between race and gender. I also love working with kids, so I could also see myself working with young girls to teach them about empowerment.

Anonymous at Dickinson