photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

A Letter from a Senior in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

As I get ready to finish my second to last semester of college (aaah!!) I find myself constantly wondering, what next? It seems almost impossible to have a conversation with another senior without our post-college plans coming up. And for some of my friends, their post-college plans are clear: between grad school, law school, and specific programs they’re applying for, it seems like my friends all know what they’re doing. I really wish I could say the same. 

While I know what industry I want to find a job in (publishing), it’s hard feeling like my future is just up in the air. I can apply for as many jobs as I want, but there’s no guarantee I’ll get one. The fact that my future is so uncertain is really unnerving. I am a person who likes to have a plan, but come May 20th, I don’t have one. I’m trying to stay in the moment and appreciate the time I have left in school, but I’m just anxious to know what my future will look like. I think one of the reasons I’m so antsy is because I’m excited. This summer I interned at HGTV Magazine and getting a glimpse of what I hope my future will look like was great. It was nice getting real life experience and now that I know what that’s like, I want to be out there working. 

May seems really far away right now, but I know that next semester will fly by with all of the different things I have to do. So as this semester starts coming to a close, I just want to take a moment to appreciate all of the positive things that happened this semester amongst all the stress I’ve felt about my future. Some positives: I’ve had an amazing time living with my roommates. It’s been so much fun meeting the Thetas that joined while I was abroad. I’ve learned a lot of new things in class and have found that I really enjoy analyzing film. 

So even if you’re stressed about the future like me, it’s still important to appreciate and enjoy the present! Although right now my present is filled with two final papers, an art exhibit, and a thesis proposal. That work aside, this semester has been great and I can’t wait to see what the spring has in store for me!

Sincerely,

A Stressed but Grateful Senior

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.