kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Dear Body,

We haven’t had the best relationship. Sometimes we can look at each other and feel at one with one another.  Other times I don’t want to be seen with you. You often make shopping difficult for me because fluorescent lights suck. They make me focus on all the little details I don’t want to see. Not to mention the fact that if you don’t fit into a medium, my self image plummets.  In every store we go in, the thinner you are the more options you have.

It gets harder as we try on bigger sizes that squish my thighs just trying to get to my waist. We’re smaller than what’s considered plus size, but we can’t fit into a small or medium either. Why do our sizes fluctuate so much?  I can’t rock rompers because they’re too long for me. I can’t wear jeans without them bunching up at the bottoms. I can’t wear long dresses without tripping over myself. You cause me so much strife.

But we have to learn how to live with each other. We look great in dresses, and there are always short length jeans available. Most of my complaints about you are out of our control.  It’s not your fault the fashion industry works to please those who have the skinniest bodies rather than those of all shapes and sizes.  Hey fashion designers, there’s not just small and then plus size, there are people like us in the middle too!! Thicker in some places and smaller in others. It’ll be fine.  We can work through it together.  

Sincerely,

Julia

Julia Mercado

Dickinson '20

Julia is an English major who just loves to write. You can normally find her looking for the next Netflix original to watch... or coming up with her own script ideas. With Her Campus, she hopes to reach out to other college women like her!
Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.