A Letter to My Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Dear Body,

When I sat down to write this letter to you, I wasn’t quite sure where to start. I know that we’ve had a rocky relationship, especially during middle school and high school, but look how far we’ve come! I am so sorry for all of the times that I’ve poked and prodded you, all the times that I complained that you weren’t enough.

You are so strong and resilient, even when I told you that you were soft. You made it through six year old me falling off monkey bars and sixteen year old me standing in the way of flying hockey pucks. I am here to tell you that you are enough, no matter what anyone says. I am ashamed to say that it has taken me this long to realize it.

Through the fad diets and bad diets, you’ve stuck with me. How can I say thank you for all of the all-nighters that you’ve pushed through. You let me do the things I love like hockey, playing guitar and traveling.

I guess what I am trying to say, is I never appreciated you enough or treated you like you deserve. You might not look like other bodies in magazines and on TV, but that makes you even more special. Every lump and bit of plump on you is another part of what makes me… me. Even as I get older and you change, we’ll be in it together, on a journey of becoming more me.

So, it may be a couple more years before I give up putting you through nights that are a little too late and meals consisting of pizza, Chipotle and chicken nuggets, but that’s okay. We have made it through 21 years together and I am sure we will make it through 21 more.

And to all you other bodies out there, know that you are unique and beautiful too. Never let anyone tell you that you don’t fit a certain mold because, after all, we aren’t made in a factory. Enjoy your pizza and ice cream or your body blast and yoga.  Collegiettes, whatever makes you and your body happy, don’t let anyone tell you that it should make you feel otherwise. Be sure to thank your bodies for all they put up with, because college can sure be tough on them. Tell them how much you love them instead of finding flaws where there are really none to begin with.

Though it has taken me a long time to get here, I love you, body. Thank you for all that you do for me, for allowing me to do what I love, and for putting up with my abuse.

Lots of love, xoxo. 

Image

Alexandra (Alex) is a Senior classics and religion double major and Campus Correspondent at Dickinson College. On campus, Alex is a first-year mentor, plays club sports, and is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her spare time, Alex is a self-confessed Food Network junkie and shopaholic. After graduation, she would love to work at a magazine or a PR agency. You can find her on instagram and twitter at @astagsss.