element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Handle an Obsession with Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Are you the friend that people @ with any Christmas ­related meme? The friend that everyone rolls their eyes at when you’ve decorated your room before Thanksgiving and already have 3 separate Christmas playlists? Do you still want to have friends that aren’t annoyed with your Christmas obsession to actually celebrate Christmas with? I’ve got you.

September ­

It’s still a little too soon. Enjoy Pumpkin Spice season. Get back into the swing of classes. Maybe watch one Christmas movie. FYI How The Grinch Stole Christmas is on Netflix year­round.

October ­

The key is to be discreet. People will start to get excited for Halloween so let them enjoy the Halloween hype even though we all know the endgame of Christmas is way better. Maybe start stocking up on some fall scented candles and edit your Christmas playlists (yes­, plural for playlists).

November ­

This is a tough month for us Christmas lovers. Being so close to December, it’s a challenge trying to reign in our excitement. I mean if Starbucks brings out their holiday menu on November 1st, why can’t we? I suggest brushing up on your Christmas cookies under the guise of Thanksgiving cooking preparation while listening to Christmas songs. We all know Thanksgiving is just prepping our bodies for the feast that is Christmas dinner. There’s much debate about if it’s appropriate to start listening to Christmas music before or after Thanksgiving, even though we really started listening back in October. Edit your wishlists to perfection and design your home decor theme for the season. By Black Friday we will be READY to buy all the perfect gifts we’ve picked out for our loved ones and stock up on some great decorative items as a treat for ourselves. Probably also throw in some cute new Christmas sweaters since it is hard work to repress the Christmas spirit and you definitely deserve a reward.

Go all the way. Be you. Don’t let anyone box you in. Spread the holiday cheer. Go crazy.