How to Deal with Relatives at Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Ah, Thanksgiving. A holiday that is welcomed by college students who need to catch up on sleep, do laundry and, of course, spend quality time with family and friends! Thanksgiving dinner is always a definite highlight: the unlimited amounts of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie…you name it. While all-you-can-eat meals and family time are great, certain conversations with relatives can sometimes be a little difficult to navigate. Here are honest reactions to some common questions you may be asked this Thanksgiving:

How’s the workload in college?

When someone brings up the presidential election:

So…are you seeing anyone special?

When I was your age, I… (or any other kind of unsolicited advice)

What do you think you want to do after graduation?

Even though these questions can get annoying and these normal feelings of frustration are valid, remember, collegiettes, your relatives and loved ones are only asking you these “annoying” questions because they care about you and miss you! Have patience and grace. Family is family, after all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Emily Fishel

Delaware '20

Emily is a junior Secondary English Education major at the University of Delaware who loves writing. Prior to UD, she wrote for Her Campus at Dickinson College and has been hooked ever since! On campus, Emily is a sister of Delta Gamma, a member of SET (Secondary Educators of Tomorrow), and currently serves as HC UDel's PR & Marketing Director. Her number one passion is teaching English, but she would also love to continue writing for online publications after graduation.