This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Ever since I can remember Valentine’s Day has been a huge affair in my family. One year my mother sewed dresses in the shape of hearts for my sister and I to wear to dinner. Another year my dad surprised my mom with a Valentine’s dinner and my sister and I were the waitresses. I never truly realized that Valentine’s Day was a day for “lovers” until I reached middle school. I can still remember the jittery feeling I had receiving a Snoopy themed Valentine’s Day card from my crush. As the years have gone by and I am now a junior in college I see the importance of celebrating love in all its forms. My parents have given my sister and I small Valentine’s gifts for years to remind us that their love for us grows every day. When putting together a gift for my boyfriend, I put together small things correlating to all the things that make me love him. This Valentine’s Day, for all those of you who don’t have significant others and those of you who do, I implore you to look at all the people who make you feel cherished on a daily basis. Whether it’s a friend who got you tea when you were sick or that aunt that sent you a care package because you were complaining about college food, wish them a Happy Valentine’s Day! Valentine’s Day is not just about those who get you a gift on February 14th but those who put a smile on your face every other day of the year. 

History and Political Science Major