sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Nostalgia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

When I was younger, this time of year was very, very special. The leaves were changing colors and as they fell, they called to me to pile them up and jump through them for hours. After the back to school rush, i settled into the shiny blue chairs of my classrooms with the haul of staples supplies in my little backpack and told adults about my favorite subjects. And, of course, Halloween was coming, and Party City became the go-to destination.

I don’t know where the notion came from that after reaching a certain age, all we can do is slap on some animal ears with a black outfit. I think we forget the exciting buzz of the fluorescent lights of the costume stores and the thrill of the chase of finding your costume. Whether you searched for hours through those plastic bag costumes or had to go through every aisle to make your own completely unique look, our generation reaffirmed our fashion taste and our identities through the ritual of costume selection.

I say bring it back! Say goodbye to the mean girls inspired (or, uninspired) “I’m a mouse, duh” costume and get down to the core of Halloween that made us all who we are today. I want guts and gore and witch costumes with layers of tutu-tulle. Be someone else for the night-I swear it makes the candy taste better and the horror movies scarier.