Behind the Lens: Meet Indigo Threads’ Caroline Fallon ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

This past Fall, with a camera and a group of supportive friends, Caroline Fallon ’17 began Indigo Threads. The project, aimed to showcase a variety of Dickinson students and how they express themselves through fashion, has made an interesting and fun addition to many Dickinsonians’ Instagram feeds. HC Dickinson decided to turn the spotlight on Caroline and learned more about herself and her amazing and unique project.

Name: Caroline Fallon

Class Year: 2017

Major: Art History

Hometown: Hamilton, MA

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

CF: I am in Pi Beta Phi and was pretty heavily involved in the Trout Gallery where I was helping them with marketing and a lot of organizational work. I was more heavily involved on campus, but one of the reasons I started this blog was because it was something just for me. It was more meaningful for me and it wasn’t for the sake of just being in a club half-heartedly.

HC: Is that one of the main reasons that you started Indigo Threads?

CF: There are a lot of reasons. I apply a lot of sentimental value to tangible things and, for example, if I wore a dress one day I’ll always think of the day I wore it, like the day I went to the beach in that dress. I think a lot of people really think that clothing and fashion is superficial – which in a lot of ways it is – but at the same time I think clothing can embody a lot of sentimental meaning, whether it’s reinventing yourself or a necklace that was passed down in your family.

HC: Would you say that fashion is another form of expression and art?

CF: Definitely! I think it should ultimately be accepted and celebrated as an art form. In a lot of ways fashion is totally up to your control. No one else is telling you what to wear and you should do whatever you want with it.

HC: How do you choose your models?

CF: A lot of people, mostly my friends at the beginning, wanted to be a part of it. I have a friend, Sophia, who is actually a model in real life and she was really helpful at the beginning. A lot of times, if it’s not my friends, it’s just people I meet who reach out to me, which has been really exciting. Despite all of the different styles that I capture, people usually feel really similarly about why they dress the way they dress and how it’s fun to be different.

HC: Is this something that you see yourself continuing when you graduate?

CF: I don’t think so. I think it’s cool that it’s focused on the Dickinson community. I have a friend of mine who is a sophomore who I plan to pass [the project] down to and hopefully she’ll continue it and do what she wants with it.

HC: Why did you choose to use Instagram and not a different platform for Indigo Threads?

CF: I just felt like Instagram would reach more people. Everyone has an Instagram and it just seemed like the best medium to use.

HC: Is there anything that you would like people to know about you or Indigo Threads?

CF: I’m a really easygoing person, if you want to be involved you don’t have to be a fashion model or have a crazy style. I would love to feature anyone and everyone, so just reach out to me if you’re interested!

Be sure to check out Caroline’s blog, Indigo Threads, on Instagram!

Alexandra (Alex) is a Senior classics and religion double major and Campus Correspondent at Dickinson College. On campus, Alex is a first-year mentor, plays club sports, and is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her spare time, Alex is a self-confessed Food Network junkie and shopaholic. After graduation, she would love to work at a magazine or a PR agency. You can find her on instagram and twitter at @astagsss.